List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First !

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #1  

Utopia Texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 / Kubota L6060 / Kubota ZD2300
A post above prompted me to write this post and ask what odd/stupid design flaws you might have found on your unit where it makes you think, "What were these guys thinking of?" I sometimes wonder if the engineers and designers of tractors have even driven one and realize how inconvenient they are making some areas of operation.

First of all let me say I love my new NH Boomer 3050 with CVT drive. It is a dream to use and so far after 51 hours it has performed flawlessly. My "design" complaints are about minor inconveniences that were overlooked I believe in the original design.

(1) Tool box. Give me a break ! The tool box is so small larger pins will not lay flat and the plastic is so thin the lid does not seal properly. About the only thing it could store properly would be a note that says "Tool Box" and that would get wet in a heavy rain.
(2) Ignition key placement. The ignition key area on the 3050 Boomer is way down low around the drivers knee on the dash board and off to the right. Even in bright light it can be a hassle getting the key in and in the dark a huge pain. There is plenty of empty area up higher on the dash area so why not move the ignition switch where the driver can actually see where the key goes?
(3)Windshield wiper switch. On this unit the switch for the windshield wiper is way above the drivers head to the left and does not have any type of delay function. In fog or drizzle the driver has to reach above his head every 30 seconds or so to flip the switch on, then off. It's a huge hassle and could be dangerous in some situations.
(4) Three point lift handle, rear remote handle and manual throttle handle all way, way too stiff. I have 6 other tractors on the place that are much older. Some Ford, JD, NH and Satoh and all the hydraulic handles move as smooth as butter. The handles on this new NH Boomer are outrageously stiff and sometimes take two hands to actuate. I hope they smooth out over time.
(5) Cup holder. So shallow even a sealed coffee travel mug flips out and onto the floor at the smallest bump. I've tried 3 different coffee travel mugs with different bottoms and none stay put.

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #2  
39 hp engine in a 5000 lbs. machine. Instant FAIL.

Fred

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #3  
I would have to vote for the lack of an intermittant wiper function. It drives me nuts for all the more complicated it is, but like you said, a light drizzle and it has to be constantly tended to. The washer function and the actual path of the wiper are pretty weak as well.

I dont care for the 6 little vents in the roof. Mine are filthy from having to adjust them between warm/cooling me off, and keeping the windows clear. It would be nice to have an option to send half the air to defrosters and half to the operator?

The tool box on my E is pretty poorly placed and pretty cheap as well. My pins and wrenches are always wet and its a feat of luck to get the loader hooked up between the toolbox and the exhaust pipe. There are scratches on both from this endeavor. I dont happen to have a perfectly flat area to drop the loader off when I need to so its partially my fault.

The Little plastic buttons that seal the holes in the glass. I have lost several of them I'm assuming from the door shutting and the air pressure popping them out. Of course you dont notice them until they are long gone though.

My 4wd light has never worked since new. Do I need a light to work to tell me when I shove the lever into 4wd? no. Should everything work from the factory? YES!

I'm not knocking the tractor for what I paid for it, but sometimes I wish it was more operator friendly. I dont have the budget to afford an R series tractor with all the bells and whistles and I have to make do with a tractor when a backhoe would prolly be alot more suited to the loader work. Over all, I'm pleased with what I purchased.

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #4  
A few...

1/ No horn and cup holder... cab has everything but. I installed a cup holder... will work on horn over the winter.
2/ Placement of ignition key... knee keeps hitting it... broke 1 key off so far
3/ Handle bolt interferes with rear window wiper blade.

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #5  
39 hp engine in a 5000 lbs. machine. Instant FAIL.

Fred

Thats a higher HP to weight ratio than about every tractor ever made before 1990, and a much higher HP to weight ratio than most older backhoes, and still higher than even modern ones.

(1) Tool box. Give me a break ! The tool box is so small larger pins will not lay flat and the plastic is so thin the lid does not seal properly. About the only thing it could store properly would be a note that says "Tool Box" and that would get wet in a heavy rain.

At least you have a toolbox:laughing:

Only other real issue I have had with mine, is where the hydraulic hoses and hydraulic filter is located under the tractor. Not protected well at all. So I fixed that with a 3/16" thick skid plate.

And I would suggest that anyone getting a new tractor and planning on being out in the sticks, take a good look under the tractor at where things are that may get damaged by sticks. Hydraulic hoses, clutch/brake/throttle linkages, or whatever.

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #6  
   / List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #7  
I'll go along with Lloyd on the ing. key placement, haven't broke one off but have shut the tractor off. The cheap piece of junk plastic roof on the cab is the other problem with mine, otherwise it has been a good unit. CJ

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #8  
I would've liked a horn with mine so I can toot at the animals to move out of my way.
The toolbox isn't great but is better than most I've seen, so hey.
My left foot gets kind of roasted by the exhaust if I'm wearing sandals. The Kioti DK series has a clear plastic shield that protects your foot from exhaust (and whatever else) and I've always meant to add one to my tractor, just haven't gotten around to it.

As for your throttle lever being stiff -- on my old tractor it was adjustable. My new one is just about right, so I've never looked.
35 hp in a 6,000 lbs machine (counting tire ballast but not attachments) = instant WIN!

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #9  
I would've liked a horn with mine so I can toot at the animals to move out of my way.
The toolbox isn't great but is better than most I've seen, so hey.
My left foot gets kind of roasted by the exhaust if I'm wearing sandals. The Kioti DK series has a clear plastic shield that protects your foot from exhaust (and whatever else) and I've always meant to add one to my tractor, just haven't gotten around to it.

As for your throttle lever being stiff -- on my old tractor it was adjustable. My new one is just about right, so I've never looked.
35 hp in a 6,000 lbs machine (counting tire ballast but not attachments) = instant WIN!

My Kioti came with a horn and that shield you mentioned:D sorry I couldn't resist.. how you getting along? I have well over 200 hours on the Kioti now. Still doing good.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ List Some Design Flaws On Your Tractor.....Me First ! #10  
My Kioti came with a horn and that shield you mentioned:D sorry I couldn't resist.. how you getting along? I have well over 200 hours on the Kioti now. Still doing good.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

Well, you little.... :D

Things are great here! I just can't find enough non-rainy days to finish the last of my fall mowing before the snow comes. I'm wishing I had a trailer because a buddy of mine has several projects that we could knock out in a weekend if I could get my tractor to his house, but I don't want to drive the 15 miles to his house. I am right at 100 hours on my Kubota. I wish I had the time to put as many hours on as you do, but some of us have to work for a living :D