Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 850 & 4310

Default Easy way to drain tires?

Just wondering if there was an easy way to drain all of the fluid out of the rear tires (15x19.5 R-4's) without taking the wheels off of the tractor and breaking the bead, etc.

Thanks

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: Easy way to drain tires?

Quote Originally Posted by 4310 View Post
    Just wondering if there was an easy way to drain all of the fluid out of the rear tires (15x19.5 R-4's) without taking the wheels off of the tractor and breaking the bead, etc.

Thanks
    What's in them?
    Murph ------------

If there is one, i sure haven't found it! Maybe some sort of vacuum to a tiny hose inserted in the valve stem? Might work, but would be slooooow. Why do you need to drain them? (just curious)

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Other than drilling holes in the tires, no magic I can think of. Take it to a tire shop, life is short

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Jack rear wheel up turn valve stem to 12 O'clock remove large valve core then attach liquid filler adapter with hose then aim hose in 55 gallon barrel then rotate valve stem to 6 O'clock,lower wheel. To get 100% liquid out you'll have to pump out what gravity doesn't get out and there will be some liquid that will require pumping even if tube is removed from wheel.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Jack rear wheel up turn valve stem to 12 O'clock remove large valve core then attach liquid filler adapter with hose then aim hose in 55 gallon barrel then rotate valve stem to 6 O'clock,lower wheel. To get 100% liquid out you'll have to pump out what gravity doesn't get out.

Jum,
    I can see getting most of the liquid out by removing the core as you mentioned but not "all" of it. Really, breaking down the tire is the easy solution imo.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 850 & 4310

They are not tubed and are just filled with water. I have to either empty or add some antifreeze to them now that the tractor is back up here (Indiana).

Last night I drained the majority of the water through the valve stem but I couldnt get what was below the stem.

I have thought about using a small tube to siphon most of it out and have kicked around the idea of drilling a hole. These tires arent in the best shape anyway and I could probably just drill through one of the repair plugs that are in it already. Anyone tried that route?

I have also never fooled around with taking the valve stem off the rim and I'm not sure how those are put together. These are metal. If I unscrew them is there something that will fall back inside the tire?

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Jum,
    I can see getting most of the liquid out by removing the core as you mentioned but not "all" of it. Really, breaking down the tire is the easy solution imo.

Good luck trying to remove tube and getting ALL the liquid out without the aid of a pump. BTDT or tried to do it.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

1st photo is the center that screws out of the part that fits in the rim. 2nd photo is complete tubeless valve stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easy way to drain tires?-capture.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by 4310 View Post
    They are not tubed and are just filled with water. I have to either empty or add some antifreeze to them now that the tractor is back up here (Indiana).

Last night I drained the majority of the water through the valve stem but I couldnt get what was below the stem.

I have thought about using a small tube to siphon most of it out and have kicked around the idea of drilling a hole. These tires arent in the best shape anyway and I could probably just drill through one of the repair plugs that are in it already. Anyone tried that route?

I have also never fooled around with taking the valve stem off the rim and I'm not sure how those are put together. These are metal. If I unscrew them is there something that will fall back inside the tire?
    To get the last out find a piece of tubing that fits pretty close in the valve and will extend all the way to the tire. Blow some air in thru the tube and then let water escape. Repeat.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast