Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: A most aggravating reoccurring task

+2
    In addition, when I pull the tab to open the end of the grease cartridge, I purposely remove it in such a way to leave the grease "sticking out", then when the top is screwed back on, it "catches" the new grease. As others noted in their experience, I too had a job as a teenager of greasing equipment. When we converted to cartridges (from bulk fill), it took a few days to get the hang of it, but when you use 1-2 cartridges per day, you either get good at it or you take way too long to grease things. The reason we switched to cartridges back then was we could no longer get the grease we used in bulk.

I think the secret to using cartridges is to give the air a place to escape.... not tightening the top until the air is out mostly is how I do it... If I get a stubborn one, I take the top off again (gotta pull the handle back and lock it) and "pack" some grease in the top where it gets picked up... then back together. I have not had to do that for 20-30 years now, but expect I will again one day...
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

And to think I thought this thread was about mowing grass or household chores...!
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

i can solve your running out of grease in grease guns quick.this is what we did when we was running 3 dump trucks.buy your grease in 5 gal buckets with the hand pump an long grease hose on it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040, ZD326, JD Gator 855D

Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post
    And to think I thought this thread was about mowing grass or household chores...!
    Maybe we could change it!

As old as I am...you would think I'd know about locking the plunger to the handle...I did not. I thought perhaps mine was broke, but sure enough, I could lock it.

BUT...I loosen the top cap a good deal, and pounded and pushed on the rod, once locked, and I still could not get it to pump. This gun has what looks like a valve stem on the head, which is nothing but a relief valve, with a little steel ball on the end. Depress that and I had grease coming out. This thing is air locked some how. I got tired of dealing with it, but will probably take it apart again tomorrow and work the pump while viewing it apart. I've had this same difficulty before....but not like this time, (except for the one that sail across the workshop and ended up in the trash can).

Tractor
    Kubota B9200 HSTD and Allis 720

We had grease gun fights when I was a kid instead of greasing the combines as we were supposed to be doing. The cartridge type guns would squirt a good 10 feet or so. Dad probably never understood why there would be grease on the side sheet metal of the combine. (Then again, he probably did know.)
    One trick I learned, as mentioned above, was to just screw the gun head on a turn or two before releasing the plunger and then start pumping. Anything less than a turn might result in a mess as the gun head pops back off.
    Palen Archtops at http://guitarsnjazz.com/

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2013 JD 3005 1974 MF135

Lol... grease gun fights... that's awesome. I missed out... guess that's what happens growing up with my only other sibling being a sister.

I might even have to tell my boys about that one... right after I lock up the grease guns!
    Greg AKA DieselCrawler
    2013 JD 3005 4x4 w/loader
    1974 MF135 diesel (dad's)
    Trucks:
    1999 F250 4x4 7.3L diesel 6sp daily driver
    2000 F350 4x4, 7.3L diesel, auto, work truck
    2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3L diesel, wife's ride
    84 Chevy K-30 turbo diesel farm truck, play truck, one ton running gear, locked up, on 39.5" boggers,
    Redheaded wife, 6 kids, 11 rabbits, 4 horses/ponies, 4 cats, 3 dogs

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

On your pistol gun (same as I have BTW) there is a fitting on the top. Loosen that while your pumping to bleed out the air.

Also you can push the rod in and out a few times to work the air loose. It'll come eventually.

Tractor
    Kubota B9200 HSTD and Allis 720

For what it's worth, I've heard that a grease gun can put out as much as 10,000 PSI. Anyone have any facts on that?
    I also understand that some crawlers had (have?) a grease gun zerk for the purpose of pumping grease into a cylinder to adjust the tension of the tracks.
    Palen Archtops at http://guitarsnjazz.com/

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

As far as pressure... yes- maybe more.

The track adjustment I can't answer.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D, MULE Fxt Pro

Quote Originally Posted by npalen View Post
    For what it's worth, I've heard that a grease gun can put out as much as 10,000 PSI. Anyone have any facts on that?
    I also understand that some crawlers had (have?) a grease gun zerk for the purpose of pumping grease into a cylinder to adjust the tension of the tracks.
    On the rubber tracked mini X's all you do to add some tension to the tracks is add grease - amazing how easy it is and seems to work pretty darn good
    Last edited by Code54; 11-09-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    1985 Mule 500
    Mule FXT Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast