A most aggravating reoccurring task

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #11  
+2
In addition, when I pull the tab to open the end of the grease cartridge, I purposely remove it in such a way to leave the grease "sticking out", then when the top is screwed back on, it "catches" the new grease. As others noted in their experience, I too had a job as a teenager of greasing equipment. When we converted to cartridges (from bulk fill), it took a few days to get the hang of it, but when you use 1-2 cartridges per day, you either get good at it or you take way too long to grease things. The reason we switched to cartridges back then was we could no longer get the grease we used in bulk.

I think the secret to using cartridges is to give the air a place to escape.... not tightening the top until the air is out mostly is how I do it... If I get a stubborn one, I take the top off again (gotta pull the handle back and lock it) and "pack" some grease in the top where it gets picked up... then back together. I have not had to do that for 20-30 years now, but expect I will again one day...

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #12  
And to think I thought this thread was about mowing grass or household chores...!

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #13  
i can solve your running out of grease in grease guns quick.this is what we did when we was running 3 dump trucks.buy your grease in 5 gal buckets with the hand pump an long grease hose on it.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task
And to think I thought this thread was about mowing grass or household chores...!

Maybe we could change it! :)

As old as I am...you would think I'd know about locking the plunger to the handle...I did not. I thought perhaps mine was broke, but sure enough, I could lock it.

BUT...I loosen the top cap a good deal, and pounded and pushed on the rod, once locked, and I still could not get it to pump. This gun has what looks like a valve stem on the head, which is nothing but a relief valve, with a little steel ball on the end. Depress that and I had grease coming out. This thing is air locked some how. I got tired of dealing with it, but will probably take it apart again tomorrow and work the pump while viewing it apart. I've had this same difficulty before....but not like this time, (except for the one that sail across the workshop and ended up in the trash can).

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #15  
We had grease gun fights when I was a kid instead of greasing the combines as we were supposed to be doing. The cartridge type guns would squirt a good 10 feet or so. Dad probably never understood why there would be grease on the side sheet metal of the combine. (Then again, he probably did know.)
One trick I learned, as mentioned above, was to just screw the gun head on a turn or two before releasing the plunger and then start pumping. Anything less than a turn might result in a mess as the gun head pops back off.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #16  
Lol... grease gun fights... that's awesome. I missed out... guess that's what happens growing up with my only other sibling being a sister.

I might even have to tell my boys about that one... right after I lock up the grease guns!

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #17  
On your pistol gun (same as I have BTW) there is a fitting on the top. Loosen that while your pumping to bleed out the air.

Also you can push the rod in and out a few times to work the air loose. It'll come eventually.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #18  
For what it's worth, I've heard that a grease gun can put out as much as 10,000 PSI. Anyone have any facts on that?
I also understand that some crawlers had (have?) a grease gun zerk for the purpose of pumping grease into a cylinder to adjust the tension of the tracks.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #19  
As far as pressure... yes- maybe more.

The track adjustment I can't answer.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #20  
For what it's worth, I've heard that a grease gun can put out as much as 10,000 PSI. Anyone have any facts on that?
I also understand that some crawlers had (have?) a grease gun zerk for the purpose of pumping grease into a cylinder to adjust the tension of the tracks.

On the rubber tracked mini X's all you do to add some tension to the tracks is add grease - amazing how easy it is and seems to work pretty darn good

Last edited: