A most aggravating reoccurring task

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #21  
Old JD 450 Loader had large Button grease cylinders to adjust track tension. Worked great to keep enough tension on tracks to operate correctly

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #22  
Cat tracks were adjusted this way on dozers. Someone along time ago showed me how to prime the grease gun by pulling back the handle and locking it in place while adding alittle 10-30 oil onto the top of the grease. Put it back together using the two turns and pump method to get the air out and then finish .

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #23  
Everyone I work with fights with the gresse guns, manual or electric. They all yank the plunger back when the gun is empty.

I unscrew and remove the top, then pull the plunger back, this prevents the grease from being sucked out of the pump, and loosing the prime. Just be sure it is empty. I dont have any problems with priming and airlocks.

Dave

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #24  
Everyone I work with fights with the gresse guns, manual or electric. They all yank the plunger back when the gun is empty. I unscrew and remove the top, then pull the plunger back, this prevents the grease from being sucked out of the pump, and loosing the prime. Just be sure it is empty. I dont have any problems with priming and airlocks. Dave

I crack the bleeder, then unscrew the cartridge and plunger. Pull plunger out, take old tube out, put new in. Pull tab off, wipe grease from tab onto grease gun head, reinstall everything , works within a few pumps .

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #25  
All good advice, and a couple of tricks that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks!

One thing I do on my when my pistol grip gun loses it's prime is take the hose off. Depress the pump handle to burp some air out, then cover the hole where the hose goes with a finger BEFORE releasing the handle, then press for another burp, repeat as necessary.

Usually, this will reprime the pump within 4 or 5 repetitions.

The thinking here is that the "finger over the hose fitting hole" provides a better seal and allows the pump to pull grease from the cartridge rather than just sucking it back down the hose.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #26  
I do OK with grease guns........so that's not an issue for me.

What I hate doing.....refilling the waterer for the chickens. I have a new sytem that I want to try but never seem to have time when their waterer goes empty so I just refill it and keeep going along.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #27  
Dan, have you tried the nipple-type watering system? You can buy nipples with gaskets that allow you to drill holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and pop the nipples in.

Then you can just fill the bucket as usual. MUCH cleaner and easier to use than the inverted waterers.

The red plastic and shiny nipples naturally attract the bird's attention and they take to them quite quickly.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #28  
I unscrew and remove the top, then pull the plunger back, this prevents the grease from being sucked out of the pump, and loosing the prime. Just be sure it is empty. I dont have any problems with priming and airlocks.

Dave

That's pretty much my method. After the top is off and before pulling the plunger, I use my finger get the last bit of grease off the top of the plunger and smear that in the underside of the top. I think that helps displace air when the top is screwed back on and besides that, I'm cheap. :laughing: Works fine 99% of the time. The edge on the metal tear off cartridge tube can cut your finger, so do it slowly.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #29  
Dan, have you tried the nipple-type watering system? You can buy nipples with gaskets that allow you to drill holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and pop the nipples in. Then you can just fill the bucket as usual. MUCH cleaner and easier to use than the inverted waterers. The red plastic and shiny nipples naturally attract the bird's attention and they take to them quite quickly.

I went to nipples to. They work great.

/ A most aggravating reoccurring task #30  
Dan, have you tried the nipple-type watering system? You can buy nipples with gaskets that allow you to drill holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and pop the nipples in.

Then you can just fill the bucket as usual. MUCH cleaner and easier to use than the inverted waterers.

The red plastic and shiny nipples naturally attract the bird's attention and they take to them quite quickly.

I have ten of them........just not gotten them installed in a bucket yet. I will however do that tomorrow!! Noticed today that the waterer will need filled again soon.