oil spill stain on concrete.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #1  

Cecil Stults

Tractor
John Deere AR, a # of Farmalls, AC WD45, couple of Fords and a Massey Harris
I have found a user for Dryer lint.

My dryer is in my garage and i have a screen that has to be cleaned off inside the dryer tub.
so have been throwing it in a trash can and forgetting to get rid of it.

But my dad taught me that pouring a little gasoline on the concrete oil stain will dissolve the oil and keep it in a liquid state for a few minutes. You then get an old rag and absorb up the oil.
Well the dryer lint absorbs very well. Kind of messy in your hand after picking it up but it does pick up the oil.

and yes be carefull where you put gasoline soaked anything.

and Yes gasoline used to be $.75 a gallon.

My neighbor thinks I am going to die from having my hands in gasoline and washing my hands in gasoline.
I watched my dad do it all his life. He died of heart failure.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #2  
You take grease stains out of your concrete? How you gonna know where to park???

;)

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #3  
Here's a good way to get oil stains out of concrete.
Sprinkle speedy dry onto the stain, then take an old piece of 2 by 4 and use that to rub out the oil stain.
The 2 by 4 grinds up the speedy dry into a a fine dust and that pulls the oil out of the concrete.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #4  
laundry detergent. powder. make a paste.. scrub in. let set..

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #5  
I have used gas to pour on oil stains on the outside driveway then throw kitty litter on Then grind it in with a brick and pick up your oil. But I don't like using gasoline on the inside of the garage I feel the danger to build up fumes and something inside the house might set them off.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #6  
lye will work.. IE.. drain opener.

if there is a high polish finish on the concrete.. it will etch and need to be repolished.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #7  
Soundguy,
What brand of drain opener contains lye these days? I tried to find some and discovered the lye had been replaced with something else. I looked that ingredient up. As best I could determine, it was a kind of bleach.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #8  
Dawn dish soap mixed kinda heavy and then hit with a stiff bristle brush. Brake cleaner works really well if the floor or driveway is smooth. Not so well if rough or sealed it will eat the sealer right off the floor.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #9  
I have done a similar thing by using paint thinner and cat litter or oil absorbent on top of it. Spread it around with a push broom and you will be amazed at the final result.

This is fine outdoors, in a driveway or someplace like that. Be aware, a lot of houses have a hot water heater in the garage. If it is gas, there is a flame which will easily ignite gas, paint thinner, or any other flammable vapor in the garage. The purpose of the platform under the heater is to keep it up high enough to be above the dense gasoline vapor which comes out of an automobile while it is parked. In many states, if there is a door into the house from a garage, the floor of the house has to be 18" above the garage floor. Same reason, gas vapor.

/ oil spill stain on concrete. #10  
When I was a kid a local servie station attendan was using gasoline to clean the grease pit. The gasoline ignited and he died of burns.