Ticking under motion

/ Ticking under motion #1  

adventure bob

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 345/ Kubota Side by/ kubota ??
Ok so maybe im just a paranoid newbie. New L4060 making an audible tick, tick tick, that is speed variable and can only be heard in the cab. It cannot be heard outside the cab. It sounds like a U joint or bearing to me but I cant find the thing. Its not at the wheels, again cant hear it outside the cab.
Any suggestions would be useful.

/ Ticking under motion #2  
Does it sound like its coming from the rear-end? Could be a broken tooth floating around in the transmission, as you go faster the harder it hits the other gears and the louder it gets.

Could it be that you can hear it outside the cab but the engine noise is overpowering it?

If it is under warranty I would have the dealer look at it. If not drain the fluid and see what comes out.

A piece of a gear would be one of first thing to fall out as it will settle to the lowest point which is the drain hole location. If you don't see anything a scope camera might give you an idea and look inside to see what is going on.

/ Ticking under motion #3  
A ticking sound like that is very often a broken tooth in the tranny….ask me how I know :(

Is the sound limited to only one gear/range, or all of them? It can be either, and still be a tranny problem (just output versus input side).

I wouldn't use it with any sort of load on it….if you do, and it's a broken tooth, when the opposite gear hits the missing tooth, it will jump to the next tooth, and can shear off a whole bunch of them, which will totally lock up the gears, and usually means a complete overhaul….again, ask me how I know :eek:

/ Ticking under motion #4  
ask me how I know

How do you know?

Has the diff-lock been used? Most aren't made to be engaged while in motion and cause damage when they are.

/ Ticking under motion #5  
How do you know?

It wasn't a tractor, but a tandem dump truck when I was 19. My truck had to go in the shop, but there was a guy leaving early, so they said to drive his for the rest of the day. He said "it just started making a noise in second gear, pay attention, and write it up at the end of the day"....super. I noticed the light ticking noise in 2nd as i left the yard, but didn't have any idea what it was. My first trip climbing out of the quarry, I downshifted to 2nd, went a few feet, and the truck did a wheelie when the tranny failed. I saw it taken apart, and the section of stripped teeth was probably 8" long...ugly. It was so bad, that case sat on the floor for months, and I don't know if they ever overhauled it. Needless to say, it was a painful lesson....they were a little "annoyed" with me over that bit of youthful ignorance.

/ Ticking under motion
Im a jeep guy who has broken plenty of R&P gear to know what a broken piece flopping around in the diff sounds like. This is more like (if your old enough to remember) a speedo cable going bad or a driveshaft u joint going bad. To eliminate the sound of the engine I put the thing in neutral and coasted it down the hill. Same thing: No noise outside, speed dependent tick tick inside.

/ Ticking under motion #7  
Im a jeep guy who has broken plenty of R&P gear to know what a broken piece flopping around in the diff sounds like. This is more like (if your old enough to remember) a speedo cable going bad or a driveshaft u joint going bad. To eliminate the sound of the engine I put the thing in neutral and coasted it down the hill. Same thing: No noise outside, speed dependent tick tick inside.

The noise doesn't come from a piece flopping around when it's a broken tooth.

/ Ticking under motion
Nope, usually if the missing tooth moves around and into the gear path it only makes one more noise...and its not repetitive, its final and definite.
Done that as well.
The noise is in all gear ranges, fwd and reverse, in and out of 4wd and without or without the diff lock on.
Anyone have a parts diagram of the tranny and diff on this?

/ Ticking under motion
Yeah, its an HST tractor...All ranges fwd and rev.