3-Point Hitch Question on three point hitch

/ Question on three point hitch #1  

millerweld

Tractor
mahindra max 28 tlb
I was moving a wagon full of firewood earlier with a hitch on the three point hitch. It was set in the middle of the setting on the tph. I noticed that the trailer kept pushing the tph arms up. I thought that was suppose to lock in position, not come up like that?????

/ Question on three point hitch #2  
They do not lock in position.

The weight of the implement, or the drag of the ground such as with a plow, is what keeps the 3pt arms down.

I'm not sure if there are tractors with power down 3pt arms available.

/ Question on three point hitch #3  
almost NO tractors, outside of some limited AG applications and aftermarket 3pts offer any sort of pwwn pressure.

thus you must use stays and locks when pulling a trailer on a ball on a 3pt drawbar. OR use a swinging drawbar..

/ Question on three point hitch #4  
If your hitch is rising up you don't have your trailer loaded properly or its not built right.

/ Question on three point hitch #5  
Some tractors have load sensing lower links. If the load is too heavy they raise to lighten the load (ground engaging equipment when raised reduces the load).

/ Question on three point hitch #6  
Some tractors have load sensing lower links. If the load is too heavy they raise to lighten the load (ground engaging equipment when raised reduces the load).

you are confusing weight sensing with draft control.

also has nothing to do with trailer construction. has to do with the floating design common to 95% of the 3pt lifts in existance. It's not a hard couple from the floating lift piston that moves free inthe lift cyl bore, to the 3pt arm rocker.

/ Question on three point hitch #7  
I pull a lot of trailers with the tractors. I use a pintle hitch and don't even bother to latch it around the place. If you have a little tongue weight your hitch isn't going to come up vary easily. If I'm going to get on the road I'll latch it. If I dump the dump trailer I latch the hitch and raise the three point all the way up.

/ Question on three point hitch #8  
on 3pts with no stay and a trailer. sudden stops and hills can play havoc with tounge height. that's why stays were invented. ;)

/ Question on three point hitch #9  
Ok I forgot about hills (easy to do in western Ok) but if he has proper tongue weight and has his hitch latched it shouldn't be a problem.

/ Question on three point hitch #10  
makes no difference how well the tounge is latched to the ball or pintel on the drawbar. since the 3pt can come up unless you have a stay. then any shift in center of gravity can cause an upset. Like i mentioned. hills and sudden stops will be the issues.. any load changes. like people walking around on a hay ride trailer.. etc.. or 'wet' loads will do the same.

again.. that's WHY stays were invented. Not because people had excess metal laying around and wondered what tool to make out of them on a whim.