L3400 loader maintenance

/ L3400 loader maintenance #1  

extrakt0r

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I have a Kubota l3400 that I purchased with 70 hrs in 2012 and I almost has 300 on it now. I have used it extensively around our home we are building.

I do a "pretty good" job of keeping everything lubed every 10 hrs or after heavy loader work, like when I did the topsoil removal for the driveway.

The question I have is when you don't lube the pivot points and they get low you can kind of hear and feel in the stick the loader friction. When you live it goes away. So obviously I have waited to long a few times.

Now I keep her really lubed and now I can still feel that "friction" when i roll the bucket back with a semi heavy load.

Could I have damaged the pivot points when I let the lube get to low previously? Is there a way to check? When squeeze new grease in the dirty grease kinda seeps out and I wipe it off should I do a better job of cleaning the pivot points? If so how?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks.

/ L3400 loader maintenance #2  
With only 300 hours on the machine, lubed or not, you are unlikely to have problems with loader pins and bushings.

Comments about the loader system creating friction at the pivot points is contrary to what occurs with insufficient grease. Pins and bushings wear creating additional clearance, slop, not seizure. If bucket roll is sluggish, to any significant degree, I'd suspect the hydraulic system or having tweaked the loader arms which would put pins out of alignment and create friction.

Last edited:
   / L3400 loader maintenance
With only 300 hours on the machine, lubed or not, you are unlikely to have problems with loader pins and bushings.

Comments about the loader system creating friction at the pivot points is contrary to what occurs with insufficient grease. Pins and bushings wear creating additional clearance, slop, not seizure. If bucket roll is sluggish, to any significant degree, I'd suspect the hydraulic system or having tweaked the loader arms which would put pins out of alignment and create friction.

Thanks! Any "pop the hood and check fluid levels" type of quick checks I could do on the Hydraulic system?

/ L3400 loader maintenance #4  
The hydraulics arent under the hood.

There is a sight glass down by your left foot. Thats how the level is checked.

You bought at 70hrs and now has 300, did you ever change the hydraulic fluid??

IT was supposed to be changed @ 50, then again @ 200.

Also, keep an eye on the hydraulic suction hose. Its a known issue that it cracks and sucks air which will create sluggish hydraulics. They revised it sometime, but I dont know what year your machine is or when the switch was. Its the hose by your right foot, got a 90 degree or so bend in it, and kinda looks like a radiator hose.

The hydraulics arent under the hood.

There is a sight glass down by your left foot. Thats how the level is checked.

You bought at 70hrs and now has 300, did you ever change the hydraulic fluid??

IT was supposed to be changed @ 50, then again @ 200.

Also, keep an eye on the hydraulic suction hose. Its a known issue that it cracks and sucks air which will create sluggish hydraulics. They revised it sometime, but I dont know what year your machine is or when the switch was. Its the hose by your right foot, got a 90 degree or so bend in it, and kinda looks like a radiator hose.

I believe the 50 hr maintenance was done by the previous owner, but No I have not done any maintenance to her except patching nail holes in the tires. Now that the house build is done I am getting caught up on all the vehicles deferred maintenance.

Sounds like a hydro fluid change is in order and overdue. I'll google the manual on her. Thanks.

/ L3400 loader maintenance #6  
I believe the 50 hr maintenance was done by the previous owner, but No I have not done any maintenance to her except patching nail holes in the tires. Now that the house build is done I am getting caught up on all the vehicles deferred maintenance.

Sounds like a hydro fluid change is in order and overdue. I'll google the manual on her. Thanks.

Good luck on googling that manual. I don't think you will find it without buying it. If you filters are grey, they are original. if white, they have been changed.

/ L3400 loader maintenance #7  
The generally accepted way to lube FEL via zerks is to first wipe dirt off the zerk, then pump in new grease with a grease gun until displaced old grease begins to ooze out of pivots. Wipe off excess old grease from pivots. That is how pivot grease is kept "fresh". Moly grease is a long lasting lube for your tractor's FEL and what Kubota recommends.

/ L3400 loader maintenance #8  
HAve you at least changed the engine oil in the 230 hours you have had it?

Supposed to to that ever 100

HAve you at least changed the engine oil in the 230 hours you have had it?

Supposed to to that ever 100

Nope. Like I said deferred maintenance on all my vehicles. :)

Got the cars up to date this past weekend. Kubota and Scag are next on the list.

/ L3400 loader maintenance #10  
Have you cleaned / changed the air filters ?? Sure hope you haven't shined that on. bulk of engine wear comes from grit past the air filter.

On the pivots, grease each one twice. Roll the bucket and lift the arms after the first greasing. that will ensure grease is getting to all sides. I use a LOT of grease on the machine.grease is cheap,worn parts are not.