3-Point Hitch Why do you slack the check chains for plowing type stuff?

/ Why do you slack the check chains for plowing type stuff? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
The little bit I've fiddled with my subsoiler, my check chains were tight as normal. Why is slop back there advantageous & recommended in my Kubota manual?

/ Why do you slack the check chains for plowing type stuff? #2  
Smack the subsoiler into an unseen rock, and with some slack, the path of least resistance can be found and followed by the implement.

If you had the thing cinched up tight, finding the path of least resistance involves bending and breaking the rockshafts, upper link and castings on the tractor.

If you let the implements hunt a bit, stuff lasts a LOT longer.;)

/ Why do you slack the check chains for plowing type stuff? #3  
Smack the subsoiler into an unseen rock, and with some slack, the path of least resistance can be found and followed by the implement.

If you had the thing cinched up tight, finding the path of least resistance involves bending and breaking the rockshafts, upper link and castings on the tractor.

If you let the implements hunt a bit, stuff lasts a LOT longer.;)

Exactly what Dingeryote said.

The recommendation also applies to any ground-engaging implements. The ground is unforgiving and the brunt of any damage will be to the tractor.

Even mowers can benefit from a bit of slack, especially if mowing is done between trees or along fence lines. The negative is that you'll have to mow far enough away so that any implement swing will not allow it to contact whatever is on the border of the cut. The key here is to not play the little game of "how close can I get". Been there, done that.

/ Why do you slack the check chains for plowing type stuff?
Ah, now I see. Thanks.