BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation?

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #2  
I think its pretty accurate excavators are purpose built and more efficient so a smaller machine can do the same work as the larger bh. Bh is a compromise between a loading and trenching machine so it dosent really excel in excavation but it can load a truck. Excavators can only load from a pile. Its really common here ( southern ca ) to see smaller dirt contractors with a dump truck hauling a small skid steer ( loading ) and a small excavator. Ten years ago it was only back hoes behind dumps.

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #3  
I bought my Deere 110 TLB from a contractor that was going to all mini excavators and bobcats... said it was more efficient for his line of work that and his excuvators can go places no TLB could... plus being able to rotate far beyond a backhoe.

Some have larger excavators and in 15 scoops can load the biggest Diesel Rig... 1+ yard per level scoop.

I think the way to look at TLB's is they are the Swiss Army knife of Tractors...

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #4  
I don't know how fair the comparison was set-up, but like others said, the real world has moved on from backhoes. I don't think anyone in the dirt business around here uses a TLB anymore. They typically own an excavator with a hydraulic thumb, small to mid-size dozer, and maybe an old front-end loader.

There's just no comparison of the usefulness in our local conditions. Wet, rocky and sloped ground, rip out and stack stumps and trees, deal with large rocks, etc. All those are easier with the excavator and the maneuverability issue is a no brainer. I watched an excavator work on some projects here that no wheeled machine was going to touch.

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #5  
I watched it and no it was not a true comparison. It looked like a sales brochure. For example the digging of that hole at the beginning. That BH could of had a bucket twice that size (or more) and not struggled a bit with that dirt. It would be like comparing a compact tractor to a large farm tractor for farming a 1/2 acre lot. Each has it's advantages. But as far as digging power, sorry a mini is just out classed by my 580k. To be equal you need to move to a larger class of excavator than what that video showed. I know of no contractors that would use a mini to dig a foundation for a house. If they are doing work around an existing house with lots of obstacles, yes a small ex would work the best.

I have a friend with a Kubota KX121 and while it's a great machine it struggled with some of the large rocks and stumps we encountered while digging a hole for a garage foundation. He would kick my (you know what) when loading a dump truck because he could rotate beyond 180 degrees when things were tight but once we opened the hole up some and built a ramp into the hole I ran circles around him. We ended up having him digging from the top loosening the dirt while I drove into the hole and used the loader to remove the dirt.

A lot of the smaller contractors use mini's because they can be towed by a 1 ton. My 580k can be but it's right up at the CDL limit. 14k for the BH and 4k for a trailer doesn't leave a lot of room. I would love to have something like my buddy's KX but I wouldn't be without my BH.

Once you start to get into the larger contractors some have BH but most have moved to larger excavators and loaders. They are usually larger machines that are just more productive than a BH. I often see BH and wheeled excavators doing small road work projects. They are small enough to do the work without blocking too much of the road and fast enough to move from one place to another. Often they have to be unloaded in one place and drive to where the work is. Also the crew is minimal so having one machine that can do the work of two is helpful.

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #6  
I think the representation in the video was fair and accurate. The reason I opted for the tlb was transport issues for small jobs, I would rather use a tlb behind a service truck and make it a one trip job. If you have small jobs that are spread out it is easier and faster to drive a backhoe a 1/4 mile and do the job before the excavator can show up. For just digging the excavator really shines though.

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #7  
crazyal,
You are right about the large rocks and bucket sixe, I should have recognized that right off. The lighter minis' just can't provide the grunt a larger heavier hoe can.

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #8  
Someone could make another video "contest" with tasks favoring the backhoe and making the excavator look bad, such as driving around a city block in traffic, moving a large dirt pile 50 yards, etc.

Bruce

/ BH/Excavator, is this comparison a true representation? #9  
I really want a small ex to supplement my CK 30 TLB but I don't think it was a fair comparison. I would like to see the mini ex use any of the 8-10 attachments that I have for my CK30.