Starting your tractor in the winter.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #1  

Ilovemytractor

Tractor
none presently.
I saw this comment on another website and was wondering if it is true with all tractors.

Let it Idle
In cold weather, after your tractor has started, let it stand and run for a good 20 minutes. Adjust the idle up to around 1500-1700 RPM and just let it sit. The reason we do this is so that the heat of the engine dissapates into the transmission, transfer case and gear drives of the tractor. If we went to work right away, the gear oil is so thick that the hydraulics will not work and shifting gears is problematic. A common service task is to repair a shifter fork during a cold weather season the gear oil is so cold and thick that when the operator grabs the stick to put the tractor into gear, the shifter fork breaks off inside the transmission costly. Let the tractor warm up for a period of at least 20 minutes when in cold weather.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #2  
Perhaps in extreme cold it would take 20 min to warm up. I'm guilty of never waiting that long but I will start it and go do other things while it warms up for a min. I don't know anyone who has broken off a shift fork due to cold but it is possible.

Someone here mentioned the other day that they would engage the PTO to get the fluid going when it's cold. I assume they meant when there wasn't anything attached to the PTO, cannot remember if they mentioned that or not. My apologies to whom ever suggested this, I wish I remembered who it was.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #3  
If at all possible, use a block heater for an hour before starting the tractor.
As far as how long to let it idle...I let it set until the temperature gauge is moving. (normally 5 minutes or so), then I'm on it and moving at a medium idle 1200-1500 RPM. No real load on the machine until it's thoroughly warmed up.

Added after Dave1949 made his post:
As soon as I start the tractor, I throttle up to the 1200-1500 RPM and move it out of the garage. Like Dave, I never idle it blow 1200 or so RPM...

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #4  
If you are tractor looking/planning, in a cold climate the nicest thing is to have a garage or shed that stays above freezing. Not a necessity, but nice for you and the life of the equipment.

In general, yes, you should warm up the tractor if it is outside in cold weather and 1500-1700 rpm sounds correct. Don't let it slow idle.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #5  
Follow your manual, you can't go wrong.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #6  
I saw this comment on another website and was wondering if it is true with all tractors.

Let it Idle
In cold weather, after your tractor has started, let it stand and run for a good 20 minutes. Adjust the idle up to around 1500-1700 RPM and just let it sit. The reason we do this is so that the heat of the engine dissapates into the transmission, transfer case and gear drives of the tractor. If we went to work right away, the gear oil is so thick that the hydraulics will not work and shifting gears is problematic. A common service task is to repair a shifter fork during a cold weather season the gear oil is so cold and thick that when the operator grabs the stick to put the tractor into gear, the shifter fork breaks off inside the transmission costly. Let the tractor warm up for a period of at least 20 minutes when in cold weather.

Disagree with the idle RPM- depending on the tractor that is being warmed up

I would not rev mine to 1500-1700 because both are rated @2000 as the High RPM limit.

Many older tractors produce their peak torque lower than 1500 RPM- so they will easily stay running at a lower engine speed, and since the oil is thickest at start up the higher RPM is likely to just put more stress on the oil pump drive

For a tractor with a lower rated peak engine speed, I think that 1200 RPM would be a more appropriate engine speed my:2cents:

Last edited:
   / Starting your tractor in the winter. #7  
In real cold weather, -10f or less, latch the clutch down for the first 5ish minutes. Less drag. Then idle 5 ish minutes and move the 3pt and loader periodically. It will squeal when moved too soon or too abruptly. Listen to the machine.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #8  
My JDs operator manual has a couple of points on warm up. One is that the idle speed if you are going to idle it for more then three minutes or so should be 1200 RPM. Second is that for outside temps below 32F No 1 diesel is the recommended fuel or treated No. 2. And third to warm up the hydraulic oil just turn the steering wheel to full lock one way or the other and hold it there for no more then three minutes. This opens up the relief valve and lets the pump circulate all the hydraulic oil through the pump and valve.
On top of that I tend to just use a lower gear and take it slow the first trip up the hill while working in the cold to let everything warm up without totally wasting fuel.

/ Starting your tractor in the winter. #10  
1,500-1,700 rpm's on a freshly started really cold tractor is a sure way to keep the thick cold oil bypassing the filter and circulating unfiltered oil through the engine. Remember, many 2-4 cylinder diesels do a last moment back and forth rock when last shut down. You don't want to bypass that loosened oil/dirt at startup.
Me: 800 rpm's until the oil pressure is up( about 3-5 seconds), then 1,200 for about a minute. Then just start using it a reduced load. You can tell where you are at by the resistance of the power steering, or the speed and sound of the other hydraulics.