wanting to upgrade

/ wanting to upgrade #1  

mf40diesel

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 461, mfwd
New to the forum here... been a huge tractor guy since I was a little kid. And now have had a couple, first was a '52 8n and now I have a 1972 Massey 40 industrial that I have slowly been rebuilding. Engine runs like a top (3-152 perkins diesel) but the rest of the tractor sadly is a bit of a derelict. It has a loader (previous owners beat it to death) and the paint and sheet metal is awful. I have been wanting a newer 4wd compact utility also since I was a kid, and deere came out with the 50 series. With the cost of used ones it might make sense to buy new.

To the point.... I currently have a super small business bush-hogging. When I say super small I mean like 3 clients annually. I make about $700 doing their work. With my dreams of justifying the $30+k price of a new 4520, do you think it is feasible to simply have it pay at least 1/2 of its payment, say $2500 annually? Between bush-hogging and maybe doing some boxblading? I have done zero advertising before, so thinking about putting an add in the paper next year, maybe also in our local "Swap it catalog... Uncle Henry's. (I am in Maine) I go to sea for a living so I am not doing this for a living, however would love to get a few jobs here and there. Just enough to have it pay for itself, or even pay half of itself. I plan on keeping it for many many years, but clearly don't really "need," and 35k tractor...... but, I want one ;)

/ wanting to upgrade #2  
Outside of the cost of the tractor, you need to consider the cost of operation. Not sure what specific business laws are in place, but I would bet insurance would be one of them. Also, doing work for someone else you are going to find lots of stuff on their property that "wasn't there before" and cost you bucks for repairs.

/ wanting to upgrade #3  
My opinion is you may lose more than you gain from a business not set up right. One traffic accident or a thrown stone that hits a person or... well, the list goes on.

First step, lawyer. Then insurance agent then city hall for a biz licence and permits as required.

/ wanting to upgrade #4  
All of those things mentioned are true for a business, but why not cut some up front costs with a different color. In my book 30k+ is a lot of money for a tractor around 50HP, Green is nice but expensive.
There are many different colors out there that can deliver what you want and cut the cost by a lot. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to sell any type or manufacturer of tractor that is why I just state different colors as an option everyone on here has there favorite manufacturer of tractor as do I and I am sure you will see many different posts with lots of pricing for different manufactures I just think you should have a more open mind go out and shop it's half of the fun!

/ wanting to upgrade #5  
I just wanted to make a comment for thought to chew on. I have a 1974 MF 135 with the same engine you have with a 6 speed gear transmission. I have a 6 foot brush hog and a 6 foot finish mower. I carry 1 million in liability insurance and I am registered as an LLC in the state of Texas.
Now, I have friends with NEW, PLASTIC tractors.
One person in particular had a tractor less than five years old. His machine has a crossover tube between the two Fuel Tanks. When he hit hidden debris in a brush hog job, the brush tire out the crossover tube between the tanks. Ever watched 50 gallons of diesel soak into the ground? In addition, the parts had to be ordered from Korea and took about six weeks.
My old MF has all of the fuel lines HIGH and PROTECTED from bad stuff.
This same company rented a 95 horse tractor and a 15 foot mower
On one job, he said he had to put a fuel line back on as he had caused a drip by driving thru tall mysterious brush. It was dripping in his trailer when he was finished mowing. I told him that is why I have and OLD METAL tractor. My tractor is 40 years old and has all of the original knobs on the controls.
PLEASE, if you must buy a new plastic toy tractor, don't get rid of the one that is gonna rescue you while the new one is waiting on parts.
The tractors of yesteryear were engineered. Today's machines are just an assembly of parts with no thought regarding their use.

/ wanting to upgrade #6  
I don't regret getting my fanciness tractor with a cab, keeps me out of the wind, heat, wasps, cold, etc. occasionally, I have twinges of regret from having sold my old mf165, which was very sturdily made, but was ancient and in need of hoses, had no safety features and was deadly to me with the diesel fumes.
For snow plowing and moving round bales I feel it pays for itself. As long as you can justify the purchase, that should be all that matters!