restoring

/ restoring #1  

wilsonfarm09

Tractor
massef fergson grah
i am going to paint ac. tractor with acrylic enamel paint what is a good rust neturlilzer that can be coated with epoxy coating then primed and painted with acrylic enamel paint single stage this will be my first tractor the information that i have is confusing can someone tell what to do so i don't mess up. kind of guide me through it . thanks

/ restoring #2  
I have used a product that Sherwin Williams sells called Extend under epoxy primer with good results. Might try a small bottle on a scrap with your primer as a test first.
In most cases for automotive quality results you really should try to get it cleaned off well and then apply a few coats of high solids primer block sanding between coats.

/ restoring
thanks for information i will try a small bottle of extend for a test

/ restoring #4  
Make sure you use a good degreaser and rinse it all off first. I say this because most of the degreasers I have used were high ph 13.5 to 13.8 and the rust converters and aluminum brighteners were very low ph 1.3 to 1.6. Rinsing well between will keep from wasting product as they tend to neutralize each other.

I should add their are several rust killers some nicknamed "grape juice" such as Nutro acid and naval jelly that cut through the rust but the Extend seems to work the best to paint over with good adhesion properties. Extend is a product of Locktite and should be available where this brand is sold.

/ restoring #5  
Ospho is a great rust neutralizer that can be primed over after a 24 hour drying period. It is a staple in the maritime industry. I use often, and on a Ford 3930 I just restored.