Opinions on Bar/Turfs?

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs? #1  

JeffRoy

Saw some "tire" posts from a couple of years ago, and would like to know how people like or dislike bar turfs and why. My tractor is a Kubota B2400 w/FEL and 60"mmm, and came with "ags". My mission is to mow 3.5 acres of "finish lawn" and former pasture. FEL use will include the normal hauling of mulch, etc. It will also include trying to "dig up" some boulders on my property so as to make mowing a lot easier. Also snow removal on a 150' asphalt driveway. Is the top speed for rapid mowing drastically reduced by having the bar turfs over the standard turfs (which are larger diameter tires). Is the extra traction all it is purported to be? Opinions one and all?? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Jeff

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs? #2  
I have bar turfs on my little Deere. So far, been very happy with them and can reccomend them to anyone who need a more aggressive tire then a turf but doesn't want the damage an ag or industrial tire can do to a lawn.

Now, if you get in to a situation that you need to use your differential lock, you're already spinning a tire..so you've got to watch that.
The bar turfs I have are quite a bit wider (guess they could be considered "flotation" tires) lending more stability on side slopes.

As far as "top speed"...what the heck is that on a tractor that can do maybe 10 or 12 MPH? Just can't see much of a problem there!

Added a pic.

Attachments

• 325887-MVC-008F.jpg
    325887-MVC-008F.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 279
   / Opinions on Bar/Turfs?
Thanks Roy for the info and for the picture. What model Deere is that anyway? Anyone else?

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs? #4  
the bar turfs should work fine for your needs, don't imagine that u get a very lot of snow, and u won;t be cutting grass in the mud. bar turfs would have been my 2nd choice, i run R4's . but my needs are a bit different.

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs?
Frank, thanks for your input. Hey, I've got a buddy up there with a couple of old warbirds out at Clarence Aerodrome. Nice grass strip. You an F-15 driver? Oh BTW, do you have any lawn areas that could be affected by those R4s?
Jeff

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs? #6  
"What model Deere is that anyway? "

That's a 1991 670. It's been good to me...nice little machine!

As far as Frank's comment about snow....these tires worked pretty good when I was clearing off the drive and parking area after our blizzard (30" plus) last year. I reckon tire chains would have helped a lot, but can't say I missed not having them that much. These smaller machines can only do so much...just have to take smaller bites sometimes.

As far as mud...Frank's got a point. But I don't work the machine when the grass or field area is wet. Too much slipping and sliding then...and it's not like we've got a deadline on these tasks, is it?

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs?
Talked to a tractor mechanic yesterday and he said the bar turfs are all the rage now. Maybe not the perfect tire but does quite well over a wide variety of situations. He also said they are great in snow. and he added that after this coming winter, I will be getting rid of my ag tires. Like you said, these are small tractors and can only be expected to do so much.
Jeff

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs? #8  
jeff do beleive i have been up to that clarence strip, (Not sure) and no i am not an f15 driver. just a plane nut, and the f15 for some reason is one of my favorites. just today i cut my corner field for the last time this season, and it has not rained in 7 days, but the ground was still squishing up water in the lower areas, did leave some footprint but not much. the r4"will defenitly leave a bigger indent than the bar/ turfs. but is not something that bothers me. still my personal choice.

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs?
Frank, FYI every September around the 2nd weekend after Labor Day, Clarence holds it's annual picnic and lots of locals come out. Great food and airplane rides! Also, mid-July weekend , a BIG warbird flyin/airshow over at Geneseo every year. B-25s, P-51s, biplanes of all sorts. ..a must see!

All, I did wind up with the bar turfs and so far I think they're great. Zero marks on the yard, except once when I was trying to pry up a boulder with the FEL. ..which means the tractor held it's ground like I wanted it to. I'll let you know how they do with Virginia snow.

Jeff

/ Opinions on Bar/Turfs? #10  
jeff: glad u are happy with the bar turfs so far. and yes i have been to the geneseo air show a few times, only about a 1 hr ride from my place.