Well, Rotella it is!

/ Well, Rotella it is! #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Well, I did my first oil change on the TC29D today. (A few hours late.. oops) but nonetheless, im going to do all of the 50 hour maintenance items this weekend. I changed the oil today. First thing I noticed is that the WIX filter was like an inch shorter than the filter that came on it from the factory. Anyone else notice this? Im sure its the right one. Just a little shorter. And I decided on Rotella. All of the local farmers use it in their tractors, and have had good luck with it, so im gonna give it a shot. The access to the oil filter was a breeze. Good design. Now the fuel filter is next and im NOT looking forward to it! I have never changed a fuel filter on a tractor before. Wish me luck!
-Brad

/ Well, Rotella it is! #2  
Typhoon,

Rotella is what I have used fromt the beginning...only 270 or so hours though, so the story is short...but from what I can see and have read here it is a good oil.

I change my oil and filter every 50 hours...excessive maybe, but it makes me feel good... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Still use the manufacturers filters though...the Wix site is confusing when it comes to filters for Kubota tractors... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif At least for mine...

/ Well, Rotella it is! #3  
Walmart has Rotella synthetic oil in gallon jugs for $12. That's what I just changed to in my 2210.

/ Well, Rotella it is! #4  
If I lived up there, I would use synthetic too. What else would let you start it in the winter.

/ Well, Rotella it is! #5  
Typhoon,

When changing the fuel filter make sure you have the valve off and when replacing the bowl make sure it is totally full. It will spill out as you slide it up over the filter but that way you will make sure it won't have any air gaps. That's from experience. I couldn't get my started after the first time I changed it. They had to come out and bleed the injectors. I must have had some air in there. The second time I changed it I had no trouble.

murph

/ Well, Rotella it is! #6  
I hope your access to the fuel filter is better than on my TC18. It's a tight fit! Use patience, and when that runs out, have something handy to kick that won['t hurt your foot. If you do get air (and I did, and it wouldn't start), the manual is pretty clear on how to bleed it, except that again, on the TC18 with a loader, it's really hard to get at the bleed screw and injectors. The first time is harder, because it seems the factory tightens all that stuff excessively.

I used to be terrified of running out of fuel because I didn't know how to bleed it. Now, I carry the right tools. It only takes a short time.

Also, when you're working in close quarters on a hot day, the diesel fumes can really make your eyes burn and water. I now keep an eye safety mask handy.

I'm using Rotella synthetic, too. The dealer used it at the 50 hour change, and I've used it at the 2 changes since then, at 150 and 250. I use the OEM filters.

/ Well, Rotella it is! #7  
I have had good luck using WD-40 I've had several VW and my poor hino not want to restart after changing the filter i just start spraying wd-40 down the intake w/o engaging the glow plugs the engine's natural compression will run on it while the fuel lift pumps keeps pumping and the injector pump keeps pumping it eventialy with in 30-40 seconds purge all the air out. Notice i said WD40 not ether! Seen about 10 psd's killed by ether a bunch of tow drivers when it gets cool down here use it eventialy getting a pushrod or maybe the rod/piston.