Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1215 & New Holland T4.75

Default Washing A Tractor For Parade Duty....

In don't usually wash machinery for looks but have to pull a trailer for a local parade and need to clean up the NH 3050. I have a pressure washer but it still leaves a film of dirt on the many tractor surfaces and I do not like to use it too close to the metal and plastic surfaces as it can peel off the paint. What chemical liquid do tractor dealerships use before they pressure wash the units? I find it hard to believe they hand wash all their tractors with the hundreds of nooks and crannies, hoses, tubes etc. What surfactant is recommended? Thanks...

Tractor
    Kubota L3430

Default Re: Washing A Tractor For Parade Duty....

I like to use an all wheel cleaner or try simple green or similar on the hard to wash parts. I would hand wash the hood, fenders etc.

I use all wheel cleaner on my motorcyle's engine, etc with no issues
    L3430HSTC w/ LA723 loader, Woods RD7200 finish mower and Kubota L2174A front mount snowblower

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

I'm not a big fan of pressure washing machinery but I do periodically hand wash my JD 2720. For hard to reach areas where crud accumulates I spray a bit of cleaner like Fantastik or 409 and rinse it off with the garden hose. This seems to get things clean without washing grease out of bushings or forcing water into places that it can cause problems.

Tractor
    2012 Kubota L5740, 1970 IH 2444, John Deere x485

ZEP makes a product called TnT .. Spray the diluted concentrate onto any painted surface, pressure wash, and it looks like you spent all day cleaning..

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

I use Napa part # 75055G pressure washing soap. Around $50 for a 5 gal bucket.
    I've tried several brands of soap, and this is by far the best I have ever used.
    I pressure wash my tractor several times per year using this soap. The stuff works great, tractor and engine looks like it has been hand washed
    NAPA AUTO PARTS
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Mean Green works great ($5 per gallon at Dollar General). Just don't let it dry on the surface if you spray it directly. My pressure washer has a pressure soap cycle. I put a cup of Mean Green in 5 gallons of water and let the pressure washer draw from it when in the soap cycle. It will take about 15 minutes of washing to suck up all the soap. So you see, it's very concentrated. that's why you don't want to let it dry on painted surfaces if sprayed directly. It might tarnish paint.

If your washer doesn't have a soap cycle you can put a good liquid cleaner in a spray bottle, wet the tractor, then spray it by hand with cleaner, then rinse with pressure washer.

Dawn Dish Wash Soap is also another very good cleaner that I use if I don't have any Mean Green.

I pressure wash my tractor half a dozen times a year. Have never had any issues with seal failures, etc.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Kubota L3800

If I can add a question to this thread, will these cleaners mentioned above get the black grease splatters off the arms of the loader and wherever else it tends to splatter? I've been wrestling with this myself. My pressure washer has a softer nozzle for general items which is about like one at a carwash. The one time I pressure washed it though, it simply blew grease around even more. Mostly I washed the dirty grease off of things by focusing on those spots, but a residue was still there, then when washing near any grease point, it splattered fresh excess grease all over the hood and fenders and what not. I'd like to cut as much of the grease and film off as possible while presssure washing, then regrease the tractor when done. I've been thinking hand washing and plenty of water/detergent changes would be required.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by tractorshopper View Post
    If I can add a question to this thread, will these cleaners mentioned above get the black grease splatters off the arms of the loader and wherever else it tends to splatter? I've been wrestling with this myself. My pressure washer has a softer nozzle for general items which is about like one at a carwash. The one time I pressure washed it though, it simply blew grease around even more. Mostly I washed the dirty grease off of things by focusing on those spots, but a residue was still there, then when washing near any grease point, it splattered fresh excess grease all over the hood and fenders and what not. I'd like to cut as much of the grease and film off as possible while presssure washing, then regrease the tractor when done. I've been thinking hand washing and plenty of water/detergent changes would be required.
    I have that problem too. Only solution for me is a spray bottle of Mean Green and a hand rag, spot cleaning those stains.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Platinum Member adirondackmtnman's Avatar
    Tractor
    JD 5045D

I try to keep the excess grease at bay by wiping off excess after greasing that I can see and reach with paper towels or throw-away rags. Gets and keeps most of it out of the way when washing

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

when washing near any grease point, it splattered fresh excess grease all over the hood and fenders and what not. I'd like to cut as much of the grease and film off as possible while presssure washing, then regrease the tractor when done. I've been thinking hand washing and plenty of water/detergent changes would be required.
    If you have a lot of excess grease. The only thing that is going to help you there is a hot water pressure washer (steam jenny)
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z