starting in cold

/ starting in cold #1  

fluffhead31

Tractor
NH TC35A w/ 16LA FEL
I need to move my tractor (2005 35hp NH) today from an off-grid location to my home. The high today is 19 F. Obviously, it hasn't been plugged in. I suppose i could fire a generator up and plug it in for an hour or two prior to starting...or i could just start her up, let her run for a while and load onto the trailer. Do i risk doing any significant damage starting a cold tractor?

/ starting in cold #2  
Cycle the glow plugs and fire it up. I'd let it run for 20 minutes before I moved it too much. I'll probably rattle a bit while its cold, but it definately shouldn't hurt it any.

/ starting in cold #3  
What rmorey said...except I'd let it warm up before PUTTING ANY LOAD on it. I don't think just creeping around the yard at 1500rpm qualifies as a load. If it has hydro, then it is more important to let it warm up, but a "gentle" load will help it warm quicker and more evenly than just idling.
I often start my JD 4300HST and as soon as the idle smooths out I head accross the yard at about 2mph to the fuel tank or wherever..If I am in a hurry. Worked fine for me for 5000hrs during the past 10 years or so.

/ starting in cold #4  
Did you just say that you have 5000 hours on your 4300?

/ starting in cold #5  
19 degrees isn't very cold. Just start it up and move it. Glow it, give it about 1/2 throttle and start and then move it.

Ralph

/ starting in cold #6  
Crawling at low RPM's under no load will not bother a tractor, in fact it will help as fluids will circulate and warm up evenly.
Operating hydraulics under no load also helps.
With hydrostatic I might want to wait a bit so as not to strain the pump.
In my case I preheat about 1 hr during colder days and 2+ when real cold so that helps.
I am at about 1350 hrs and no issues with 0 oil consumption to speak of.
I do use 5W30 winter oil so maybe that helps.
But, lessons learned, I always use an anti gelling additive as well and filter twice.

/ starting in cold #7  
I agree with the others, I used mine all last winter with no issues. I just start er up and go a little off idle for a few min then I move gently until the temps are up. I've found that the dynamic warm up of moving gently rather than just sitting there works very well for trucks and tractors.

/ starting in cold #8  
Bought it to plow my snow, skid my firewood, landscape my wife's flower garden. The first summer I had it I stumbled into a job where I put over 1000 hrs on it. Pretty well paid for itself ..... That was about 2002. Things have slowed down since then but I still do the odd paying job.
The gas gauge quit at the end of the first year so the dealer replaced the dash under warranttee, that included a new hour meter so now it only shows 44xxhrs.

Replaced the front tires a couple years back with a no-name brand, then again this summer with Goodyears. Rears are original.

/ starting in cold #9  
Gents,
We cold weather people up here have done this for years, interestingly, the warm-up issue is more important for the hydrostatic components than kt is for the engine, light load (very light) warms up the engine better, but driving a hydro at any speed with super cold oil is a risk. This is why Cat and other bid manufacturers insist on hydro oil heaters. So, when at 0degree F or lower outdoors, I would advise to let your tractor stand at 1100 or 1200 RPM for at least 20 minutes... My 2 cents worth

Dan

/ starting in cold #10  
I have run heavy equip . for years , I know who cares . Every book and the mechanics Ihave been around say stall the hyd . to warm up . That means pull theboom and stick back until it goes to relief . Works quite well . You folks are a little paranoid . A hydro is not going to warm up sitting idling . I know you have spent lot's on these little tractors , but they will take a cold start . As for the engine , get it running ,give it half throttle get the juices flowing .