Traction Wheel Spacers

/ Wheel Spacers #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
After being snowed in at the top of our steep 1+ mile driveway, I broke down and ordered a set of chains for the rears of my JD 110 TLB. They should get here this week, but now I need a set of wheel spacers, since the clearance on the inside of the wheels, is less than about 1.5" .

I intend to leave the spacers on year-round, since the wider stance will also give me some extra side hill stability. When I look around on the net, there seem to be two kinds. Those machined from a single billet of aluminum, and those welded from steel parts.

Does anyone have experience with either type, and any opinions on the pros and cons of each type? Just off the top of my head it looks like the solid billet type would be easier to machine to a closer tolerance than it would be to jig the multiple parts of a steel one while welding to get equal tolerances. OTOH, how close to parallel and true does a wheel spacer have to be? The solid billet looks stronger, but are the steel ones "strong enough"? Clearly the steel ones are harder and look more robust, but is that worst anything in the real world?

Any recommended vendors? I am willing to spend enough to get quality, but I don't want to overspend just for a brand name that is going to be covered in mud and dust after 10 minutes of use.

I am thinking that 2.5" spacers would be about right, but that is just from the standpoint that this "looks right". Any advice on this size?

/ Wheel Spacers #2  
I bought a pair of spacers right at a John Deere dealer for my 410B backhoe. This was a few years ago, I think they were about $400. They said the lug bolts may want to loosen up, being longer, but they have not. A very good investment.

/ Wheel Spacers #3  
Usually you can swap sides with the wheels to set the tires in or out a little, if they are that close now I would say they are in the narrow setting. I never had a 110 but operated a 310 for a while, we used to set the wheels out in the summer for stability and in for the winter so they tracked behind the plow better. Something to look into.

/ Wheel Spacers #5  
You can get these in 6 bolt or 8 bolt and either 5/8 or 9/16 lug they are made of steel and come with all fasteners . They are great, I put a set of the 2" 8 bolt 5/8 studs on my MF 1531
eBay item number:281197828181

Last edited:
   / Wheel Spacers #6  
The ones I've seen are billet.

I was wondering how you are making out with the winter weather...

It's 7:30 pm and 39F and dropping here in Oakland...

Don't have a snow problem although the plumbers have been busy with broken copper pipes and ice patches on the roads...

Last edited:
   / Wheel Spacers #7  
I have a JD4520. It has the same size wheels as my old 4700. I think the 110 has the 4600 as the base machine, so it's wheels are likely the same 8 holer pattern/size.
When I got the 4520 this fall, I was disappointed that the rear wheels are no longer the 8 position/adjustable width types, rather cheaper fixed dishes.
So I found the best way to go was spacers, and the best spacer solution was from SkidSteerSolutions.com. A set of 4 that are each 2" wide. They fit perfectly. Cost is $350; shipping is free. Had the JD service dept mount them, because I had the 105 # wheel weights already installed -- they were able to take the wheels off with the weights still attached, then slip in the spacer, then reinstall the wheel. Without any problem.
The 4" added width on each side gave me the stability I need, while leaving the OEM wheels positioned to look the best.
And.....a side benefit is that they are solid iron (castings?), and thus give me another 40+ lbs on each side to counterbalance any hillside leanover.
By the way, JD appears to be going the spacer route, maybe to compensate for dropping the 8 position rims. I saw that they mention spacers in their literature on the new 3e/3r series.
jim

Last edited:
   / Wheel Spacers #8  
Here's a link

Skid Steer Solutions is Your #1 Online Source for Skid Steer Wheels Spacers.

From Deere Tractor note at the bottom of the page

Tractors & Wheel Spacers: We cannot guarantee that our spacer will fit on a tractor. Many people have bought them and added them successfully to their tractors.

We have had customers comment that the 9/16" x 8 Lug Red spacer will fit on John Deere Utility Tractor, 2000, 3000, & 4000 Series. We will add more information as it comes available.

/ Wheel Spacers
Last night I bought a set of 4 spacers from ebay. Wheel Spacers Skid Steer 8 Lug 2" Bobcat Case New Holland John Deere Cat | eBay. $319 with free shipping.
9/16" lugs. I found several threads that mention these on TBN, and they look like a good option for the 110 TLB.

I also ordered tire chains from tire chain.com. I got the duo-ladder combination in size 17.5-24, which is the size in the JD manual, and is the size molded on the sidewall of the tires. Didn't get the v-bars because there is asphalt on about 2/3 of the driveway. The duo chains are harder on pavement than ladders, but there is going to be a layer of ice on this every time I use them. $465 seems high, but there are a lot of places where slipping off the driveway could put me down a 40-60 foot drop. Looks life threatening to me.

Anyway this is the sixth day we have been up here without being able to get a car down the driveway. We usually get 2-3 days where the driveway is snowed in 2-3 times per winter. I think this will let me clear the drive with the bucket.

/ Wheel Spacers #10  
I would add my good experience with the Bro Tek spacers for a B7800. They came with all the hardware. After a year, I took the wheels off again to check/retorque the studs holding the spacers to the hub, but found that none had loosened. The machining was beautiful, almost creating something of industrial art.