QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at?

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Currently have R4's so I know how they handle on dry pavement (good), grass (ok), mud (horrible), General field work (good), plowing/tilling (just ok) etc etc etc.

But how well or bad, would turf tires handle those tasks?

Thanks in advance

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #2  
Turf tires are really good in snow! This surprised me, but after having R-4's for years, I was pleasantly surprised how well turfs do when plowing snow.
Turfs are easier on the lawn, if you mow with the tractor. They're good for field mowing too, but no advantage over R-4's there. Same applies to loader work. I stay out of mud...so no experience there. I also have no ground engaging implements, so I can't offer any opinion based upon experience there either.

I buy used tractors, so how they are equipped is what I get. But if I had a choice between two comparable tractors, one with turfs, the other with R-4's; I'd go with the tractor with turf tires.

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #3  
I try turf and like my R4's for fel work,rear scraper task,brush hogging R4's give that little extra bite compare to turfs in 4WD.

Kinda depend on ones land condition and use.

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at?
Yeah, R4's are definitely not all that great in the snow.

I do not know my lawn with the tractor, but I do drive over it all the time, and if the ground is soft at all I do leave ruts. I mostly do loader work, back blade work, & a little bit of field plowing and tilling.

I was just curious if it would be more beneficial for me to keep the R 4's, or use turfs instead

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #5  
Also loaded R4's tires like night and day.

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #6  
   / QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #7  
Turfs ride much better because they are a softer tire. The r4 tires take abuse better because they are tuff and hard. Neither is that good in mud. Turfs are better on ice and packed snow because they have more tread edges, like the sipes on winter tires. If most of your work is loader work on harsh ground, go with the r4. But, like me, if your work is on grass and includes mowing, some loader work, firewood, snow removal, garden tilling, and baling hay, then the turfs will be fine.

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #8  
I have (unloaded) turfs on mine, and as was pointed out earlier they really work good on snow. I don't have any ground engaging tools either, just MMM and snow blower. Actually, 80% of my snow blowing is done in 2wd, but everything I clear is blacktop unlike some others here that have long gravel drives.

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #9  
Here, turf tires are good for slipping...

But then I moved here because I got tired of winter and HATE snow.

/ QUESTION: Turf Tires, what are good at? #10  
Turfs ride much better because they are a softer tire. The r4 tires take abuse better because they are tuff and hard. Neither is that good in mud. Turfs are better on ice and packed snow because they have more tread edges, like the sipes on winter tires. If most of your work is loader work on harsh ground, go with the r4. But, like me, if your work is on grass and includes mowing, some loader work, firewood, snow removal, garden tilling, and baling hay, then the turfs will be fine.

I think this post hit it on the head and I agree 100%.