Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #1  

jrdepew

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920, JD LT180
Hello,

I have a question about how wide the rear tread width should be set in relation to bucket width. I did a lot of searching on this, but it seems that no one posts results, just the question! I have a Ford 1920 with R1's, which allow a ton of different tread width settings. They are out to the maximum right now, and the outside of the thread on both tires has a span of a few inches under 7'. This is great for stability and gives me a sense of security as I am new tractor operator. The previous owner set it up this way. For some reason, the bucket my tractor has is a 60" HD bucket. The 7108 loader manual states that my tractor should have had a 68", but it doesn't. Part number and a measurement point to a 60".

So, my tires are wider than my bucket by about 1 foot on each side, two foot total overhang. Nearly the whole tread width is outside the bucket edges at that point.

If I could find a 7' bucket and adapt it when I do my SSQA conversion, would it be way too much for this tractor? The rear tires a filled currently and I plan on making a ballast box come spring, but that is 16" wider than the recommended bucket (68") for this tractor.

7108 Loader Specs on 1920:
Lift Capacity to full height - 1100lbs
Full height - 101"
Breakout Force - 2790lbs

1920 specs:
Weight without FEL: 3069lbs
Rear Tires: 14.9-24 R1
Front Tires: 7.5 L-15 rib tread
Weight with FEL and filled tires: ?? I'm guessing over 4000 lbs

A 7' bucket has a struck capacity of somewhere in the 16 cubic foot range. Assuming crushed gravel @ 125lbs/cf and a full load (something I struggle to ever do), that is 2000lbs, which is way beyond my lift to full height (and I would never lift something that heavy very high. I don't plan on loading trucks or anything like that. Just spreading gravel on my driveway). It is within my breakout force, even when the extra bucket weight is added, but narrowly.

Another option is to find a 72" bucket, and narrow my stance a little so I am as close to 72" outside width as possible. Struck capacity of about 13cf, so a full load would be 1625 lbs. I am more comfortable with that number, but I wish I didn't have to narrow my stance at all!

Any opinions or comments on this? I imagine a 7' bucket has a lot more chance to rack the FEL if I hit something uneven as well. A 72" bucket is only 2 inches on either side wider than the suggested bucket for the 7108 loader on a 1920, so that doesn't seem to bad as far as chance to rack the FEL.

Anyone know what size buckets similar tractors can handle?

Thanks,
Joe

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #2  
If you aren't digging holes with the FEL, the wider tread wont bother you any but if trying to dig a trench you wont be able to do that very well. Do whatever you need to do to get the outside tread not more than the outside of the bucket, be it a larger bucket (not a 7 foot as that is way too large)or narrowing of the tread a bit. I don't think your tractor will handle a 7 foot bucket. It could hold much more dirt than you could safely lift and it would be hard to load a 7 foot bucket in all but the loosest sand.
As far as racking the FEL, it can happen with a small bucket easily if hitting an immovable object on one corner and lifting the FEL, just more damage could be done with a much wider bucket.
Remember that a larger bucket is going to weigh more so your Tare hauling capacity is going to go down.

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #3  
Joe,

I have to ask, what difference does it make if the tractor is wider? What are you moving, loading that having a wider bucket would make all that much difference?

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #4  
I had a IH574RC tractor for more than 20 years with a 65 inch bucket and a 7 foot tread width. It worked great and I would never have thought to worry about the bucket width vs the tread width. I didn't plow snow with it or dig ditches. Just moved wood and lots of mushroom soil.

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #5  
I don't think your tractor/FEL will like a 84" bucket. My Brother has a Kubota L3240 with FEL. We sometimes have my 84" bucket on his tractor. It won't begin to handle it. Hard to get a bucket full and if you do, you can't lift it.

I agree that your 60" bucket is a bit small.

On my M9540 I run a 84" bucket. My rear tires are outside my bucket 6" on each side. I get along with it fine that way.

I'm not in favor of you narrowing your tires to be inside your 60" bucket. I think your tractor will be very unstable setup that way!!! Just my opinion!!!

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width
Joe,

I have to ask, what difference does it make if the tractor is wider? What are you moving, loading that having a wider bucket would make all that much difference?

For right now, there isn't much difference. I run over my snow piles with my back tires when doing the driveway, but that isn't a big deal. I would like to get a rear blade for this job anyway. Or, I could fabricate some wings for the loader bucket to get wider in the snow.

In the future, digging a ditch or leveling with the FEL is supposed to be easier if the tires fall within the bucket width, and that makes sense. No immediate need really, but I always keep my eyes open while going down the road and on CL looking for something I could use.

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width
I don't think your tractor/FEL will like a 84" bucket. My Brother has a Kubota L3240 with FEL. We sometimes have my 84" bucket on his tractor. It won't begin to handle it. Hard to get a bucket full and if you do, you can't lift it.

I agree that your 60" bucket is a bit small.

On my M9540 I run a 84" bucket. My rear tires are outside my bucket 6" on each side. I get along with it fine that way.

I'm not in favor of you narrowing your tires to be inside your 60" bucket. I think your tractor will be very unstable setup that way!!! Just my opinion!!!

Thanks for all the info guys. I will probably keep my eyes open for a 68-72" bucket, or consider widening mine in the future if I find I need it.

I am also keeping my eyes open for a rear blade, but not sure how large to get. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again,
Joe

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #8  
Does your manual spec a maximum front tread for loader use? I have much bigger tractor and mine specs 71" (center to center) which is where I set mine. I then set the rears to the same overall width as the fronts, so if the front tires fit thru an opening the rears will too. So am about 84" overall width and have a 73" bucket.

As long as you remember; "that just because the bucket fits thru an opening it does not mean the rest of the tractor will" you will be OK.

I agree with the others an 84" bucket would be too big and of little use on your tractor.

If you do narrow your fronts be sure to check for tire contact to the tractor at full lock to lock and articulating the front axle. You may have to adjust your steering stops.

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #9  
Do you have a box blade that will cover your rear tires or a back blade that could be offset enough to cover one tread?
I'm thinking of road building work or digging a trench, where most of the bulk excavation can be done with the FEL.
Then the edges of the excavation can be cleaned up with the rear implement.
The ballast on the back would help your FEL performance & traction, too.

/ Rear wheel width setting vs. Bucket Width #10  
The previous owner of my tractor had wheels set to widest and it was a pain mowing up against objects like a fence. Further more, widening treads is intended for crop row spacing, not stability. Id set the tires in to line up with front tires. Keep your rops up and load the back tires for stability.