Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare

/ Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #2  
Yikes watch yer fingers!

/ Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #4  
   / Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #5  
Wow. If the splitter doesn't get you, one of those belts will! I especially like the curious little boy in the foreground. Oh dear.

/ Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #7  
Those hard-working, creative, self-sufficient types usually are?

This guy is a lot more scary in his workflow. That first guy operated with a lot more respect for the potential danger.
Clarence's Wood Splitter - YouTube

They ARE NOT "Those hard-working, creative, self-sufficient types usually are?" They have only enough knowledge of physics to be dangerous. Enough fabrication skills to assemble a deathtrap. An overpowering sense of "cheap" to justify cutting corners. And an unwavering belief that they are impervious to injury or death.

/ Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #8  
I would like to see the ram move a little slower so the operator has more time to react to anything unusual and some type of cradle on the ram side so he doesn't have to hold the logs in place, but it's a very ingenious solution to a $1000 problem.

Better to recycle all that old iron than to buy something new that will itself go to scrap in so many years.

Very good idea!

/ Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #9  
No emergency stop, no protective barrier. How much does it cost to take care of a cripple the rest of their life and lost productivity. Costs more than a decent hydraulic log splitter.
False economy and short sightedness.
Then again some people get off on operating dangerous equipment as such and being told not to.

/ Turn Your Baler into a Wood Splitter - If You Dare #10  
All that "safety" stuff is for people who don't respect the equipment.

There are thousands of people who use "wood splitting screws" that are now outlawed in the USA because some people didn't respect the equipment.

I don't substitute dollars for common sense, EVER, it will kill you.