Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors?

Quote Originally Posted by D7E View Post
    We are hauling grain at the moment which has landed in some of the coldest weeks we've ever had and i know a lot of semi's that are left running all night as they plain will not be able to start if they get down to that -40 .
    I can see that with that big of an engine, but not for a little car and what the news station was suggesting was starting them every few hours and running for a few minutes...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Default Re: Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors?

Just about every car in northern Minnesota and other northern states and Canada have block heaters installed. If you live in a place where sub-zero temps are very rare, magnetic oil pan heaters can be had for a decent price and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. If nothing else, even a space heater placed under the front end of the car with a tarp draped over the hood to help hold in the heat can serve as an emergency alternative and work better than nothing. If you're not driving anywhere, don't start the car... that's just wasteful and dumb.

Joe
    Joe

Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M7040 View Post
    The often overlooked concern in colder weather is the vehicle's hydraulic systems. I have a kubota M7040 which will start in very cold weather using the glow plugs. Kubota's owner's manual has a table showing how long the tractor should be left at a high idle at different outdoor temps to allow the hydraulic system to warm up. The idling time can be up to 20 minutes. If you have a block heater and run it for 3 or 4 hours before you start the tractor you will ensure it will start. The block heater does nothing to warm the hydraulics so the idle time is still essential

Dave M7040
    the manual for my jd 4410 mentions an optional hydraulic heater in addition to the block heater. I don't have either but wish i did.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Put gas line antifreeze in the gas tank when filling up. Isopropyl alcohol. Start car when needing to drive it.
    Tractor, if diesel, use 'cut,' winterized fuel. If gas, as above for car.
    Crank any motor for 10-15 seconds, NOT until battery is dead and starter wiring is toast.
    If whatever vehicle won't start, go back in house, wait until it warms up, go back outside, try again. Repeat process until spring. Or call local news media to come to house to do story about whatever won't start and the impending end of mankind being imminent.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, KL-401 FEL, (reversible cutting edge), Titan Tree Shear. 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter. HLA Series 2000 7' plow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

2015 Husky AWD Rider 322T Combi 103 deck. Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M7040 View Post
    The often overlooked concern in colder weather is the vehicle's hydraulic systems. I have a kubota M7040 which will start in very cold weather using the glow plugs. Kubota's owner's manual has a table showing how long the tractor should be left at a high idle at different outdoor temps to allow the hydraulic system to warm up. The idling time can be up to 20 minutes. If you have a block heater and run it for 3 or 4 hours before you start the tractor you will ensure it will start. The block heater does nothing to warm the hydraulics so the idle time is still essential

Dave M7040
    I question running a tractor at hi idle or hi rpm working when cold. The hyd is still circulating even tho not going to the pressure circuits. -- And its goingfast at hi rpm. The suction circuit may "cavitate". The hi flow thru the filter may collapse it. Etc.

Better to run at 1000 and instigate moderate periods of relief bypass to sump. ... Like curl and hold the lever. This will heat the fluid at relatively lo flow and warm the hydraulics.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    N. Holland tc30

In these parts I've got cars that may be sit for weeks at a time with no start time. If they have no other issues (battery drain etc) they start and run just fine; god bless the modern car.

High today.....15 degrees. HEAT WAVE!!!!!!!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    TYM T353

(Silliness, of course and potentially more harmful than whatever benefit could be realized. Idling produces so much water and with no movement, the water vapor created is damaging.)
    I totally Agree, I think a better idea would be to hook up a little battery maintainer.
    Ron

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle for another year or 2 (2 kids in college...). But we are supposed to start off Monday at -25F actual temperature. Personally, I think that's a perfect day to go car shopping. Salesman will probably leave you alone for quite a while. And if the car you pick starts right up, you should be good for quite some time. Starting the car every few hours should be reserved for someone stranded in a snowbank out in the middle of nowhere. And it should be every hour and let it run for 10 minutes or so, just to keep you from freezing. You won't be doing the car any favors.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    N. Holland tc30

If your stuck out in the cold you'd be better off going into the trunk and get the blanket stored back there.
    Then after you're back in the cabin light the candle in the tin you picked up out of the trunk at the same time.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Don't disagree with you there. Candle, matches, coffee can, sleeping bag, snacks, drinks. All good stuff to have in the car when you head out in the cold. My daughter has 300+ miles to cover on Monday in that weather. She will be well supplied.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast