Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors?

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #11  
We are hauling grain at the moment which has landed in some of the coldest weeks we've ever had and i know a lot of semi's that are left running all night as they plain will not be able to start if they get down to that -40 .
I can see that with that big of an engine, but not for a little car and what the news station was suggesting was starting them every few hours and running for a few minutes...

Aaron Z

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #12  
Just about every car in northern Minnesota and other northern states and Canada have block heaters installed. If you live in a place where sub-zero temps are very rare, magnetic oil pan heaters can be had for a decent price and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. If nothing else, even a space heater placed under the front end of the car with a tarp draped over the hood to help hold in the heat can serve as an emergency alternative and work better than nothing. If you're not driving anywhere, don't start the car... that's just wasteful and dumb.

Joe

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #13  
The often overlooked concern in colder weather is the vehicle's hydraulic systems. I have a Kubota M7040 which will start in very cold weather using the glow plugs. Kubota's owner's manual has a table showing how long the tractor should be left at a high idle at different outdoor temps to allow the hydraulic system to warm up. The idling time can be up to 20 minutes. If you have a block heater and run it for 3 or 4 hours before you start the tractor you will ensure it will start. The block heater does nothing to warm the hydraulics so the idle time is still essential

Dave M7040

the manual for my jd 4410 mentions an optional hydraulic heater in addition to the block heater. I don't have either but wish i did.

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #14  
Put gas line antifreeze in the gas tank when filling up. Isopropyl alcohol. Start car when needing to drive it.
Tractor, if diesel, use 'cut,' winterized fuel. If gas, as above for car.
Crank any motor for 10-15 seconds, NOT until battery is dead and starter wiring is toast.
If whatever vehicle won't start, go back in house, wait until it warms up, go back outside, try again. Repeat process until spring. Or call local news media to come to house to do story about whatever won't start and the impending end of mankind being imminent.:thumbsup:

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #15  
The often overlooked concern in colder weather is the vehicle's hydraulic systems. I have a Kubota M7040 which will start in very cold weather using the glow plugs. Kubota's owner's manual has a table showing how long the tractor should be left at a high idle at different outdoor temps to allow the hydraulic system to warm up. The idling time can be up to 20 minutes. If you have a block heater and run it for 3 or 4 hours before you start the tractor you will ensure it will start. The block heater does nothing to warm the hydraulics so the idle time is still essential

Dave M7040
I question running a tractor at hi idle or hi rpm working when cold. The hyd is still circulating even tho not going to the pressure circuits. -- And its goingfast at hi rpm. The suction circuit may "cavitate". The hi flow thru the filter may collapse it. Etc.

Better to run at 1000 and instigate moderate periods of relief bypass to sump. ... Like curl and hold the lever. This will heat the fluid at relatively lo flow and warm the hydraulics.
larry

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #16  
In these parts I've got cars that may be sit for weeks at a time with no start time. If they have no other issues (battery drain etc) they start and run just fine; god bless the modern car.

High today.....15 degrees. HEAT WAVE!!!!!!!

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #17  
(Silliness, of course and potentially more harmful than whatever benefit could be realized. Idling produces so much water and with no movement, the water vapor created is damaging.)
I totally Agree, I think a better idea would be to hook up a little battery maintainer.
Ron

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #18  
I'm not in the market for a new vehicle for another year or 2 (2 kids in college...). But we are supposed to start off Monday at -25F actual temperature. Personally, I think that's a perfect day to go car shopping. Salesman will probably leave you alone for quite a while. And if the car you pick starts right up, you should be good for quite some time. Starting the car every few hours should be reserved for someone stranded in a snowbank out in the middle of nowhere. And it should be every hour and let it run for 10 minutes or so, just to keep you from freezing. You won't be doing the car any favors.

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #19  
If your stuck out in the cold you'd be better off going into the trunk and get the blanket stored back there.
Then after you're back in the cabin light the candle in the tin you picked up out of the trunk at the same time.

/ Recommended frequent starting of autos in sub-zero weather - how about tractors? #20  
Don't disagree with you there. Candle, matches, coffee can, sleeping bag, snacks, drinks. All good stuff to have in the car when you head out in the cold. My daughter has 300+ miles to cover on Monday in that weather. She will be well supplied.