Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor!

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #31  
If you look at Kubota check out the MX5100HST. I downsized to that tractor this last summer and like it a lot. It will pick up over a ton with the FEL. It is a light easily maneuverable tractor. I even got a larger bucket on it but always do heavy-duty FEL work with weight on the back, even with filled tires.

All tractors are a compromise so look carefully and pick wisely. Good luck!

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #32  
When your wife tells you you need a bigger tractor, she's almost always right.
When your wife tells you you don't need a bigger tractor, she's usually wrong.

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #33  
Man you are so lucky...
Few models Kubota L4600/mx4700/mx5100

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor!
Wow... nice feeder. Any pix of it with a round bale in it? Great for horses... off the ground and covered. How meny horses do you feed with it? Looks like the sides fold down as the hay gets eaten, so they can get to all of it? We do our own squre bales, and with only 1 horse and 3 ponies its not too hard to keep up with. If we had more, and fed in the field I would steal your design in a heartbeat!

We feed 5 with it. Yes the sides follow the bale down as it is eaten. We can also lock the sides up so that they are forced to clean up what they spill, then let them down again. Or once the bale is partially eaten, lock the sides up and pull the amount of hay we want them to have access to near the sides. In just a few bales we have learned how to reduce waste. And thank you for the compliment, however the design was Klene Pipe's patented design, I only modified to fit my needs.

Attachments

• WP_20130926_007.jpg
    WP_20130926_007.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 140
  • WP_20130926_008.jpg
    WP_20130926_008.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 137
thank you

My next one is going to be a 5045 or 5055, gonna keep my 790 though. I do the same thing, trick I learned is you can curl more than you can lift, I roll the bale spear forward a little, lift the bale, then curl it back. It will gain you another foot or so on the front of the bale, at least it does for me. The other thing I have is a forklift mast that hooks into the backhoe sub frame, I can lift 1500 lbs. on the rear with no troubles at all. Cant dump or reach but it works well when its on the tractor. I just lift the bales between the forks and set them into the feeder. Trouble with that is I don't keep it mounted on the tractor most of the time. By the way I love your feeder, nice design and looks well built.

Building a rear lift is another option that I may pursue, but I have not told my dear wife about any options but a bigger tractor yet. She does not read this forum by the way. I thought about going with a spear attachment tot he FEL as my forks are rated at 5000#. Way of an overkill, but they were what I had access to when I built the fork attachment. The forks are welded to pipe that is held onto the quick attach with a bar. I could make a spear and probably save 200# of weight that could go to the payload. Again not an option shared with my bride.

Thanks for the compliment on the feeder, we've had horses long enough that I knew it had to be sturdy. Always surprised at how they can get themselves into trouble.

Attachments

• IMG00132.jpg
    IMG00132.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG00130.jpg
    IMG00130.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG00129.jpg
    IMG00129.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 106
I had a Massey 65 before the 790 and while it had the Hp, our property has a lot of swamp and brush so it was not a easy to get around as the JD. I really like the tractor and with the mods I've invested in, not in a real hurry to give it up. If I go with a second used tractor then there is one more item to maintain, another building to house it in. Of course a 70 hp unit would do everything that I can currently imagine, but I thought that when I bought the 790.
My local Deere dealer suggested a 2 WD 50 -55 hp unit. With the extra weight and hp would I miss the FWD?

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #38  
Yes you would miss the 4WD. Adding a bale spear would make sense if it saves that much weight and you could always have a portable ramp to get the front end higher when needed. I went from 67 hp to 50 hp but added 4WD and a hydrostatic transmission and I would never go back. The Kubota I bought was the biggest HST tractor they made in the M series.

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #39  
Once you've been on a 4x4 tractor you will kick yourself if you go back. Sounds like you just need a light boost in lifting power and might not have the 5 year plans as I do... I know I will need 60-70 hp and 4x4. You will likely be ok with 40-45 hp... but dont give up 4x4.

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #40  
I think you should reward good behavior and get a bigger tractor.