Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor!

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #1  

metalcaster

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
We have a Deere 790, 4WD purchased in 2005 with about 450 hours on it with a 300 Sx loader. It has serviced us well for the years that we've had it for cutting the yard and pasture, tilling, moving logs, cleaning the run in shed and brush cutting to name just a few of it's uses.
We started feeding round bales this winter and I have several suppliers that provide small round bales, probably around 500-600#, but our best value is from a fellow that sometimes gets them a bit too heavy for us. I've built quick attach forks and added the shims (1-1/2 of the kits worth) to increase the lifting capacity to where I can maintain the height coming off the trailer, but don't have enough lift to get it into the feeder. My wife helps guide it in and lends a hand when I'm about 20# shy in lifting capacity. When we got into the house Saturday night she says "We need a bigger tractor. What is the next size up?"
So that is my question to you guys. I don't have to stay green, but they have the best dealer density in the area. There is a Kubota dealer nearby as well.
What do you guys think? Other than I've got a pretty terrific wife.

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #2  
Had a JD 790 and up graded to a JD 3520 Just a lot nicer machine especially with a 5 foot blower and heated cab. Use a 5 foot brush hog and 5foot tiller with no problem. Oh you must have a great wife.

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #4  
Do you have a Kioti dealer near you ?

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #5  
Go on Tractorhouse.com and look for a low hour 3000 series Deere. 3520 is lowest HP rating and is naturally aspirated Yanmar. Bullet proof tractor. If you have the extra bucks, look at the 4000's. Just that much more capable. But I'm sure you willfind the 3000 a huge gain over your 790.

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #6  
JD 5045E, -55, -65, mfwd w/loader would handle round bales ok... keep the 790 if you can... that's my plan. Good little mechines, same as my 3005. How did the shim kit work for ya? I have one ordered.

I will be looking for some thing like a 5065e... 5410... big enough to handle a 9' disk mower. Also thinking about Kubota M6800 series...

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor!
no Kioti dealer

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #8  
Keep the wife, give up the tractor.

The Kubota M7040 is worth a look. It is tall for doing your jobs and has 2535 lbs. of lift at the top with the LA1153 loader (OEM).

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #9  
I had a 45 PTO tractor but it was only 2WD, traded it for a JD 6200 4WD, then realized I still needed something smaller, so got a JD 770 as well. Good tractor, except should have gotten a hydro, but still liked the wheel size (like that of a real tractor) on the 770.

My opinion that I tell people with some amount of acreage, a forty something PTO hp tractor is the ideal compromise. You might still need a lawn tractor, but in my mind a compact doesn't cut grass very nicely for a lawn anyway. And a compact FEL is quite useless IMO! Get into a forty something HP machine and you can start to do some serious digging, lifting, snow removeal.

Not really sure what to make of the various off-brands. You always hear, they're made in the same factory as such and such, but who really knows whats what anymore.

I suggested to a customer who wanted a new tractor with front mount snow blower, to go with a Kubota, which they did. Something again in the forty something HP class. Nice cab tractor, but they don't like it, claiming it's "weak" particularly in loader lift capacity, compared to a Universal cab tractor they had. Plus they have had some costly repairs, that don't seem in keeping with a new supposedly high quality tractor.

It seems to me, that tractors are becoming ever fancier but less robust all the time.

IF I had to buy only one tractor, I would probably look at something like a 5000 series (maybe old series number) John Deere. Larger wheels, heavy frame. Something built to stand up to Ag use! In other words, not a toy!

/ Wife tells me that we need a bigger tractor! #10  
I love your wife.

X2...don't let that one out of your sight...she'll have suitors lined up around the block;-) My wife would never utter such a statement...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet