Logistics of small sawmill operation

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #31  
image-3585724907.jpg

And this is what the big pile of boards turned into very rewarding when you can mill your own boards!

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #32  
Wow, I am very impressed by everyone's lumber. Very nice work.

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation
Thanks for everyone pics, keep them coming. :thumbsup:

View attachment 355341

And this is what the big pile of boards turned into very rewarding when you can mill your own boards!

That is one of the main reasons I bought a sawmill. We are trying to get rid of the consumerism mentality and make more with less. I'm absolutely astounded when I go to Lowe's or Home Depot and the 1x lumber they sell is $4.00/BF and even dimensional framing lumber is around $1.00/BF. Compare those prices to the on the stump price and it'll make your stomach turn. This first small barn I'm working on sawing the lumber for will almost pay for the sawmill. I've sawed about 300BF so far and have used 1 gal of gas and one blade (which I'll have resharpened).

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #34  
To mill all the wood for the camp out friend charge us 300 bucks!! The quote for wood at the lumber yard was 1500$. You sure save money

I was able to get out to the woods today to get another load of logs before the next storm. Largest logs I got are 24" diameter on the big end, so I'll have to shave them down to fit in the mill. I might also use the Alaskan to make them into cants, should be interesting. Below are a couple pics of what I'm doing in the woods for now, carrying the tools out in the bucket, using forks to carry logs back to the truck, a grapple would be nice.

P1020088sm.JPG

P1020089sm.JPG

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #36  
I was able to get out to the woods today to get another load of logs before the next storm. Largest logs I got are 24" diameter on the big end, so I'll have to shave them down to fit in the mill. I might also use the Alaskan to make them into cants, should be interesting. Below are a couple pics of what I'm doing in the woods for now, carrying the tools out in the bucket, using forks to carry logs back to the truck, a grapple would be nice.

Looks like some nice lumber on the way. Looking forward to the pictures.

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #37  
Seems like your enjoying the new mill! Glad to hear it.

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #38  
Seems like your enjoying the new mill! Glad to hear it.

I see some nice log, lumber, and buildings on here. Very nice.

Piston, I have been meaning to ask you which home do you have your mill set up, MA or NH ?

/ Logistics of small sawmill operation #39  
I see some nice log, lumber, and buildings on here. Very nice.

Piston, I have been meaning to ask you which home do you have your mill set up, MA or NH ?
MA

I really don't have too many nice sawlogs in NH, yet anyways :D

I got a few more logs milled today, these larger logs are nice because I can make multiple cants out of them which makes things go quicker. Couple pics below of making some 6" wide cants for 1x6 and 2x6:

P1020092sm.JPG

P1020094sm.JPG

Logs ready to be milled, should be about 800bf here:

P1020093sm.JPG

Question for those with more experience than I, I sometimes get to a point when the blade quits cutting, saw bogs down etc. It seems to mostly happen after 200-300bf, but I don't think the blade is getting that dull. It seems as if it just gums up sometime, despite using dish detergent in my blade lube. See pic:

P1020095sm.JPG

Is this a result of the blade being dull, too much pitch in the wood (seems to be spots where this trouble occurs, not all logs), not enough/right type of blade lube? I have taken off two blades after about 200-300bf thinking they were dull, but they might have just been gummed up. Thoughts?