3-Point Hitch Using a tiller with early 8N tractor

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #1  

hlyautey

Tractor
1949 8N
Is anyone using a tiller with an early 8N (pre live PTO)? From what I understand the tractor is too fast in first gear, around 3 mph, to work right.

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #2  
You presume correct that an 8N doesn't travel near slow enough to operate a tiller SUCCESSFULLY unless it's equipped with a gear splitter.

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #3  
Just my opinion.... Years ago (early 50's) when I was a kid on the farm my dad had two 8N Fords. Dad said the only thing that they were able to do was "git the cows" and rake hay with an old three bar hay rake. They didn't have a whole lot of power and were geared quite high.
To be successful with a tiller, the tiller would have to be small (very), soil would have to be light and tilled shallow. No live power would add to the mix. The gear splitter would definately help for you to pull this feat off.

Remember, just my opinion. Good luck!!!

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #5  
He is tilling very shallow, and its not doing very good.

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #6  
It looks like he is using the tiller to push the tractor to the other end of the garden for some reason.

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #7  
the speed he traveling at, its makes it shallow and poor tilled . If you had to start with a pasture to till, never worked on, You gonna be frustrated. perhaps a single plow pull behind would be a better option.

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor
I wonder if you could just leave it in neutral and let the tiller push, so long as the tiller is forward rotating.

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #9  
Maybe after it was plowed and disked you could turn a bit of compost in with it, but forget about it to actually getting ground ready to plant. He is lucky to get down an inch or 2 at that speed

/ Using a tiller with early 8N tractor #10  
Would a reverse rotation tiller work any better on a 8n? Ken Sweet