differential locks

/ differential locks
While engaged properly can a diff lock be used while pulling or pushing? For example my Massey ferguson is 2wd. If I had to pull my truck out of the driveway using my tractor can I engage the differential lock and start pulling on ice or packed snow?? From what you guys are telling me yes I can! As long as there is something between the pavement and the tractor tires . Just like using four wheel drive is best when the tires will be moving in mud snow or ice a apposed to locking in 4wd on dry pavement

/ differential locks #12  
While engaged properly can a diff lock be used while pulling or pushing? For example my Massey ferguson is 2wd. If I had to pull my truck out of the driveway using my tractor can I engage the differential lock and start pulling on ice or packed snow?? From what you guys are telling me yes I can! As long as there is something between the pavement and the tractor tires . Just like using four wheel drive is best when the tires will be moving in mud snow or ice a apposed to locking in 4wd on dry pavement

I have done it more than once without breaking anything. Also keep in mind you can use your split brakes to slow down a spinning wheel and give something for the stationary wheel to push against. I am sure it uses a bit of brake pad every time you do it, but I have done it a lot!

/ differential locks
I have done it more than once without breaking anything. Also keep in mind you can use your split brakes to slow down a spinning wheel and give something for the stationary wheel to push against. I am sure it uses a bit of brake pad every time you do it, but I have done it a lot!
yes four of our tractors do not have a diff lock and one does. Even with tire chains when we had our ford 601 work master, it was awful on ice. You would tap the left than the right and left and right brakes. There is a strong possibility it may take 5 years to buy a cut tractor with 4wd and Fel although I have operated quite a few. I'm sure I will see a world of difference when it comes to pushing snow banks with chains or without. Also the ford did not have wheel weights so that may play into account with the mf25 having aggressive tread and wheel weights

/ differential locks #14  
In plowing snow today with my Kioti with my new Aquiline MPC chains it was day and night difference from last time without the chains and just the loaded R4's. Now perhaps the snow was a little drier this time than last time, but the difference using the chains was profound. I was even able to plow up hill, and I mean up hill. This one hill so so steep that it is not comfortable to walk down in dry weather as it is mostly gravel and very steep. I only needed the steering brakes a few times , and I don't believe the rear tires ever spun a bit.

/ differential locks #15  
The manual for my tractor says not to use the dif lock with 4wd, I have used it with 2wd but only at low when stopped.

Wow! Maybe I should re-check the manual for my JD 4600. I'm fairly sure it doesn't prohibit using the diff lock when in 4WD. I do use it that way, but only at very slow speeds. I generally stop, step on the diff lock, then try to go again. It has gotten me out of some mudholes, and other difficult going.

The most recent time that I remember using diff lock was when I had my front wheels started down over the crest of a ditch beside my driveway, and my rear wheels on ice (no chains). Diff lock and 4WD were not enough to get me out of this pickle. I rolled the bucket forward, used down pressure to lift the front wheels, and rolled the bucket back to help push me out. That worked, and saved having tow the tractor out. In clearing that storm, I did this twice though the second time was not as bad as the first. Normally, I have better traction on the rear. This time, I had nothing but slick ice under the snow.

/ differential locks #16  
The reason for not using diff lock when in 4x4 is that the tractor will always try to push straight even if your steering axle is turned. It would be a pretty unusual situation where you would risk breaking something if traction was so limited that you are using diff lock in the first place. Not something to worry about.

/ differential locks #17  
The Hurlimann has locking diff front and rear. SO $wd locked diff is part of the program.

I like to step on the rear axle diff lock pedal as I'm approaching a boggy section or any time wheel spin is expected.

The front axle lock is hydraulic, with push button control. What goes for the rear goes for the front too as far as "when".

I reserve locked diffs to slow axle speeds and would never ask the mechanism to engage under heavy load.
Also, the traction surface must providse for slip unless a straight line of steering is the only request.

Let me tell you that with both ends locked up, this little Italian beauty can really go on ice and snow. With no chains! IT will climb right up and over a snow bank just piled with the loader!

Some year, I might add the screw in ice studs to the rears. That is, if the tractor ever feels like it's lost traction. (icey hills still scare me, and boy do I have one of those)

The Fordson without LD, but with some real HD rear wheel chains goes on that hill ;-)

Bottom line, treat the locking diff as you would an open gear box and it will hold up just fine. There is a feel you develope towards your machine. You got to work with it though...

/ differential locks #18  
My 4WD and DIF lock are both engaged with flip of the switch. I have not found where my manual says don't use it in 4 WD. It will auto disengage if the brake pedal is touched (not engaged just touched) just so you don't put pressure on the differential trying to force one wheel to turn faster. I have never really tried turning sharply with DIF Lock engaged but a small amount of turn seems to not be a problem. If you only use the Dif lock in low traction situations, don't engage it unless both wheels are turning, and go in a fairly straight line when it is engaged, I don't see it hurting the rear end or the dogs on the lock.

/ differential locks #19  
The reason for not using diff lock when in 4x4 is that the tractor will always try to push straight even if your steering axle is turned. It would be a pretty unusual situation where you would risk breaking something if traction was so limited that you are using diff lock in the first place. Not something to worry about.

One of the basic rules of dif lock use is that you do not have them engaged during a turn. I don't understand the 4WD restriction. In general it does not make sense at all. There must be something special, read fragile maybe, on a 4WD tractor that restricts dif lock to the 2WD mode. Or maybe it is one of those outragious safety things.

/ differential locks #20  
I can understand not using the diff lock on dry pavement. And having diff lock engaged can make steering interesting (unwilling at best). But it seems to me that even a turn probably isn't going to bother the gearing. You wouldn't be using it unless there were traction problems already, so there is already some protection built in by the situation.