Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling #1  

revak

Tractor
troy bilt horse
I recently bought an older model troybilt horse that has a Honda gx160 5.5 hp engine. Everything works well until I begin tilling. I had it serviced becore using it. The engine cranks up after a few pulls and I can walk it to the garden with no problem. Once I engage the tines and they dig in after just a few seconds, the engine dies. Any suggestions woild be appreciated.

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling #2  
Belts too tight?

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling #3  
The oil level sensor thinks it is low on oil when tilted for tilling. Try adding a LITTLE more oil, or disconnect the sensor.

Bruce

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling #4  
The oil level sensor thinks it is low on oil when tilted for tilling. Try adding a LITTLE more oil, or disconnect the sensor.

Bruce

Could be and here's hoping that's it. I'm a big fan of Honda GX engines but oil sensor failure is a real problem with them. The sensor is in the crankcase and it's major surgery to replace. I'm not sure you can disconnect the sensor like a seat safety switch?

It could also probably be the carb...running too lean or rich? Any smoke or any stumbles before it dies? The sensor will kill it right now.

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling
I did notice that there appeared to be an oil leak. I'll add some oil and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling #6  
I did a little looking and it seems that if you remove the ground wire from the sensor, it will eliminate it from the circuit.

Also, run the engine until it's hot and dump the oil and refill. Old oil having been in the crankcase can cause an issue.

Also, I confirmed that the sensor is in the crankcase and cannot be removed externally.

Finally, an oil leak in a small engine is like a artery leak in a human being and both lead to sure death without timely transfusions.

Best of Luck!

I attempted to add oil. When I removed the filler cap, oil spilled out. I will remove the ground from the sensor and see how it runs.

There was not any smoke. It just shuts down, as yousaid, right now.

/ Troy Bilt horse tiller shuts off when tilling #9  
The Honda engine needs to be level to check the oil. Tilt the machine until the motor is level then check the oil. Remove the excess oil before running. Look on the side of the engine you should see a sensor inserted into the side of the crankcase. Disable the yellow wire and your problem should disappear.

THAT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

Disconnected the sensor and it ran like new. Got my onions in the ground and the soil was tilled better than ever,

Thanks for the help!