Oil & Fuel help my tractor is cold

/ help my tractor is cold #1  

brokenpitchfork

Tractor
IH654
it is so cold i cannot get my IH654 to change gear, i need reverse to spear hay bales. where would i put a heat lamp to warm the fluids? i have a heater that warms something up and i plug it in but it doesnt do anything for the transmission/clutch. it does not stay in a shed but is covered with a tarp.:eek:

/ help my tractor is cold #2  
Have you let the tractor warm up completely? After starting, push the throttle up half way and let it run for 10 minutes, at least, and see if you can shift into neutral then. Maybe drive around in high gear to get the transmission spinning also, to make more heat.

/ help my tractor is cold #3  
Maybe a couple of the magnet heaters stuck on side of tranny might help it to warm up.

/ help my tractor is cold #4  
Do not know if this will work for you. My neighbor has the say problem, before he puts his tractor away for the night, he puts a bale on the rear spear and in the morning only has to go forward and by the time he gets to the hay ring, reverse starts to work again.

/ help my tractor is cold #5  
I have a LP Torpedo heater and point it where i want it to heat up normally at the oil pan only short time less than 5 minutes starts like summer.

/ help my tractor is cold #6  
Any chance you have some water in there somewhere? (now ice of course). Maybe coming in the shifter boot?

/ help my tractor is cold #7  
james beat me to it.. but yeah.. how much water you got in that sump?

/ help my tractor is cold #8  
We have 5 tractors between my father and I. After purchase we have drained the tranny oil out of the machine. Most have had water. Some with substantial amounts. It causes lots of issues in the cold weather. If you have ways it will get in the trans it is very likely to happen in the rain. Our f40 has a cracked case so water badly gets in when it rains if left outside. When its cold you may have moisture/ water deposits through out the fluid froze up.

/ help my tractor is cold #9  
I bought a farmall h years ago in fall/early winter the tractor was froze up at dealers parking lot.they drug it inside and put a salamander and thawed it out and change tranny oil.I never had a problem again.

/ help my tractor is cold #10  
Hang a heat lamp under the transmission for a few hours to thaw the ice inside it.

We had an old WD45 that we parked in neutral with the clutch propped open. After it started and ran for about 30 minutes we would drain the water out of the transmission and then do our work.