Honda 3 wheeler 250 project

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #1  

tylertown

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 40 backhoe, Ford 5000 general purpose
I recently purchased a Honda 250 I got a really good deal on it but don't know a lot about them. it has a slight oil leak and is running on no airfilter. it runs great though. all the gears work as they should. no front brakes. it leaks oil from what looks like the cam shaft on some type of timing sensor or vba im not real sure I posted a pic of it paid 200 for it.

the only problem I can see is the forks broke or the shocks disappeared and someone tried to rig it back together and the front wheel is at a slight angle. are these good bikes? I like it a lot but looking to buy a parts bike to get the forks off of and a few minor pieces. IMG_20140126_161716.jpgIMG_20140126_164027.jpgIMG_20140126_164011.jpgIMG_20140126_164005.jpg

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project
if anyone can tell me the year model I would appreciate it ha. or how to find out..

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #3  
Nice! All I know is three wheelers have a very high center of gravity.

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #4  
the id tag is on the neck behind the headlamp. it looks like maybe a 1985-6 big red. had lots of fun on those things, be careful !!

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #5  
Dad had a Big Red that looked similar to yours back in the early eighties...??? I think. I remember the headlight was detatchable and could be used as a searchlight. It was a very dependable machine. The only problem I remember him having was the gas tank kept springing leaks.

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #6  
I agree, looks like a Big Red. I think you oil leak is a seal on the cam shaft. IIRC three wheeler sales were banned do to their poor handling, you had to really lean and unload one rear wheel to make tight turns. Have fun with it.

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #7  
Does it have shaft drive or chain drive? If shaft drive my guess is it is a Big Red as mentioned. They were similar in design (drive train and engine) to the Honda 300 four-wheeler of the time. Get it fixed up and it should be bullet proof, they were great machines. They were banned due to the government trying to protect people from themselves :thumbsdown:, just like the Suzuki Samurai, Jeep CJ, etc. They are perfectly safe for anyone with common sense and a little bit of riding ability.

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #8  
It looks like atc200es . I think more likely 84. Maybe 85. I know the 250SX well. The rack is too small on yours, and the tank is wrong color for 250. Seat is smaller too and motor side is different. Ebay is your best best for parts or pick up another one just like it locally for parts.

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #9  
Model no. & year will be on a sticker on the left hand frame down tube, just below the tank.

/ Honda 3 wheeler 250 project #10  
I agree, looks like a Big Red. I think you oil leak is a seal on the cam shaft. IIRC three wheeler sales were banned do to their poor handling, you had to really lean and unload one rear wheel to make tight turns. Have fun with it.

Yeah, you do have to be careful making turns, and especially going up/down steep hills!! It's worse than doing it on a tractor LOL. On the other hand, with a little practice, you can ride that thing on two wheels (front tire and one rear) for a country mile!!!!