F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting

/ F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting #11  
I would wan't the hitch bolted to the frame at least. As was mentioned above the straps mounting the bed should be angled rather than vertical. In use the straps are
going to be stronger in tension if the body is hit from the rear. When I build truck bodies I attach the straps at an angle using existing frame holes, you might be better off to simply add them correctly at this point.

Here is a pic I snapped on a service truck outside tonight.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    844.9 KB · Views: 245
   / F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting
I would wan't the hitch bolted to the frame at least. As was mentioned above the straps mounting the bed should be angled rather than vertical. In use the straps are going to be stronger in tension if the body is hit from the rear. When I build truck bodies I attach the straps at an angle using existing frame holes, you might be better off to simply add them correctly at this point. Here is a pic I snapped on a service truck outside tonight.

Thanks for the picture. I see what you mean. Good advice!

I think I'll take it to a fab shop and have them fasten the hitch to the frame, then ask them about reinforcing the flatbed to the frame too.

/ F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting #13  
I find it odd that there are no blocks/supports under the bed, and that everything is riding on those welds. All the flatbeds I have seen, including one we built from scratch for a then-new 1986 F-350 chassis-cab, had wood blocks between the bed and frame, and were bolted on. The blocks supported the weight/load, the bolts kept the bed in the right place, and the bolts were always in tension (i.e., torqued).

Here, the welds are doing everything, and those vertical welds are assuming a lot of different loads and forces. Just seems odd to me. I don't think beds are meant to be rigidly welded to a frame because then the bed will constrain the frame. With bolts and blocks, you can accommodate flex and vibration in the truck frame (and there is plenty of that, because truck frames are designed to flex a little otherwise they'd fatigue and crack).

/ F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting #14  
Thanks for the picture. I see what you mean. Good advice! I think I'll take it to a fab shop and have them fasten the hitch to the frame, then ask them about reinforcing the flatbed to the frame too.
very good! Just as I was going to say. Take it to a welder and see if he can correctly attach the flat bed to the frame of the truck. The fact the gooseneck hitch is not attached in between the frame at all bothers me!! The GN hitch needs to be directly attached and very secure to the frame. I just wanted to see the style of the flat bed before I say the way it was attached was good or bad. Tell you what, I think some teenager got the truck from his dad and welded the flat bed on lol:p silly kids trucks are for people that work for a living

Tell you what, I think some teenager got the truck from his dad and welded the flat bed on lol:p silly kids trucks are for people that work for a living

Haha, no kidding. It was definitely one of those "good enough!" jobs.

Not good enough for me, though!

Taking the truck to a good fab shop in town today to have them look at it. I'll report back! :thumbsup:

Well, had the welds redone on the truck this week.

Here are the before and afters, side by side. Easy to see the new welds are a LOT better. The shop guy said that when he started grinding down the old welds, pieces just began flying off. Clearly the original welds weren't too strong.

I feel a lot better hooking onto a trailer now!

image-2184213227.jpg image-2288724571.jpg image-1262365209.jpg

/ F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting #18  
That looks a lot better. Did they do anything with the actual gooseneck mount?

That looks a lot better. Did they do anything with the actual gooseneck mount?

You know, I told them to do that but they forgot. Only charged me for the weld repairs and I needed the truck back tonight so I couldn't leave it with them.

I'll probably take it back and have them attach the hitch to the frame with some bolts, though sometime.

/ F250 Flatbed Frame Mounting #20  
Those welds look a little cold to me . Get that hitch reinforced , turn up the heat .