Compact tracked loaders comfort?

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #1  

Piper2022

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
As much as I love tractors I find myself eyeing compact tracked loaders more and more. How are they to operate on rougher ground for long period of time. Do they beat up the operator?

I have researched the machines alot. I really like the cat multi terrain loaders similar to the ASV system. Dose it really make the machine that much more capable vs the ridge carriage?

Also how ate they over rocks? Do rocks just shred the tracks or what?

How is shuttling dirt say 200 yards over rougher ground. With a tractor having 4 wheel makes it somewhat smooth. With the tracked loader is seen you bounce and teeter alot more.

I end up using my tractor as a loader more than anything. My dream is to have a tractor for working in the woods and a tracked loader for working with dirt. Any input?

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #2  
I have opperated a high horsepower rental tracked caterpillar loader similar to what you are describing. It was a rental and I just loved it!!! Very nice machine and easy to get any work done. More comfortable than a common skidsteer. If it were me I would rent one so you know how they feel or of course go to a cat or bobcat dealer and test drive one of these tracked machines. The tracks give them just so much traction while being good on the ground. You would be surprised how much you can push and pull using one.

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #3  
I use a cat 257 mutli terrain everyday. Yes, it is rough going over rocks and rough terrain. It doesn't not have a shock absorbing suspension. The tracks lasted pretty long before getting replaced the first time. I got 1100 hours on the first set. All the while I used it for heavy construction in terrible conditions and very rocky material. They DO NOT shred. Some times towards the 1000 hr mark, some small pieces started to come off but over all they wore evenly. The track rreplcement cost around 4 thousand bucks. Now at 1300 hours there is another big issue. I just picked the machine back up from cat a few weeks ago for one of the idlers falling off. The tracks are still almost like new but the undercarriage is trash. The idler bearings are shot and the rest of the rollers are going. 15 thousand dollars to fix that. It is not uncommon either. Just expensive to own but if you use it for work, it pays for itself

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #4  
I traded in a tracked loader for my present tractor. I used it for feeding cattle, built a building with it using a man lift, and I did a lot of post holes in the corral and was impressed with what it was capable of. I did not like to cover much distance between the pit and where dumping as far as hauling dirt or gravel as it was slow even with the two speed. I liked how it would go anywhere and seemed safe. I spent a lot of money on the undercarriage they are not cheap! Drive gears and idlers and rollers add up fast I had 750 hrs on it and had not replaced tracks yet but they were next. My new tractor is nowhere near as maneuverable. The bottom line is it is too early to tell if the 4x4 tractor or the skid steer is better I wish I could afford both.

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #5  
I have two tracked john deere loaders. I run them in rough terrain, rocks, etc. They hold up well. I just got back from a job where I was on the machine sun up to sun down for 14 days straight. It did not beat me up too bad. I am not brand loyal to anything but the plastic undercarriage on some of the cat models (the one they got from ASV) is crap. Look at the prices of used machines and you will see any of them with the ASV undercarriage are a lot cheaper. I wanted a cat machine but the steel undercarriage ones were too expensive for me. Everything I have ever heard about a takeuchi has been good. I am considering one for my next machine.

Whatever you do make sure you get a two speed machine. They are painfully slow without it.

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #6  
I've spent a good many hours on a Bobcat T770 working on some rough, steeply sloping terrain. There is no way I would have taken a wheeled vehicle where I went with the tracked loader. At the end of a long day, I was a bit motion sick from the constant forward and back work I was doing. When I went to bed, it felt like I was still moving!

Comfort wise, it was pretty good. But always keep your seatbelt on. When you come up on a stump for solid rock that abruptly stops you, you'll be happy you were. I did manage to throw a track while working, but it wasn't too bad to put it back on once I found somewhere stable to jack the machine up.

Don't like Cat's offering in this range. They are not the best choice. Bobcat is pretty solid. John Deere makes a good machine too.

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #7  
I will also add that CTL's are awesome in general. I used my loader a ton on my tractor for all kinds of things. Now I just use the CTL. The only time I use my tractor anymore is when plowing or shredding. The CTL is just so much more versatile, nimble, etc

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort?
Thanks for all the input guys, there are two that company's that rent then near me. I can rent one for 250 a day. One has a 70 hp asv and the other has either kubota or Deere. I feel it's totally worth the 500 total before I drop atleast 20k some day on a used one. I am very competent on a tractor and know there weaknesses. My dream would be to have a 60ish hp ctl and a 40ish hp tractor.

It's interesting to see or much they cost to repair. I am a good mechanic and with the exception of internal engine work see myself repairing the machine myself. The cost of the tracks and idlers is scary but I feel the productivity increase is worth it. I have seen prices for tracks for around 3k and another 1-3k for idlers. Our newholland needs tractor tires at 900 hours and that's gonna be 2k right there.

I am excited to try a few out, as soon as the snow melts here I plan to rent some.

I am also excited to rent both the suspended track type and the ridge type. There is both an bobcat delaer and Terex dealer near by that I have looked at new machines. The prices are scary on the new stuff. Some day i hope to find a nice used machine with like 500 or less hours.

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #9  
I have never operated a wheeled skid steer. I got the tracks because of the terrain we work in. We go in very rough and sometimes muddy areas. There is no way wheels would work for me but for general around the farm use they might be fine. I have not had to put tracks on either of my machines but I did put some on my tracked crawler dump last year and it is about the same size and it cost about 2k with me doing all the work. My small CTL is 65 hp I think and the big one around 80. They both Are very capable and the big one is a beast. The loader lift capacity is around 7000 lbs. The small one can pick up anything I want without problems though. Neither of mine have cabs. I wish they did as you are so close to the bucket you get dirty and dusty in a hurry.

/ Compact tracked loaders comfort? #10  
There is one other machine you should consider, a Compact Telehandler.

You mentioned moving dirt, it excels at that with the 6' wide 1 cubic yard bucket.
P3200002.JPG P3200020.JPG P3200023.JPG P3180005.JPG P4180005.JPG
I compared it directly with a rubber tracked Bobcat T300, with this bucket in shale and hard red clay. The T300 struggled to fill the bucket, spinning the tracks, while the V417 filled it easily in the same pit.

It is 6' wide, 6.5' high and 13' long. Tire size is 14x17.5. Top speed is 15.5 mph, drawbar pull is 7,000 pounds and it will lift over 5,000 pounds! Has a standard SSQA plate and aux hydraulics on the boom.
P7200003.JPG P9290019.JPG P9290024.JPG PA010009.JPG PA010016.JPG

It also excels at moving brush and making big brush piles.
P4080004.JPG P4080008.JPG P4140015.JPG P4140018.JPG P4200008.JPG

If you get a compact telehandler, you will probably sell your tractor, that is what I did. :thumbsup:

More pictures here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-construction-equipment/160568-compact-telehandler.html

Last edited: