Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #11  
How did you go from Cat ll to a Cat l implement seeing how the Cat ll pins are 32" apart & Cat l pins are 26" apart? Thanks,Jim

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #12  
Get a Cat 2 Pat's Easy Change. (click on the blue link) Then bush the pins on the Cat 1 to make them Cat 2.

This is what I did with a Cat 2 Kubota M7040 and it works great for both categories. I was able to get the slide in replacements. Not sure if they are still made. Give them a call. They are very helpful.

Pat's is a sponsor on TBN. Check the top of the "Attachments" forum.

I would recommend not getting these for the 5075e. I got some for my 56 hp john deere, the side bolts were always bending and other parts were bending as well. this may be fine if your going slow, but i was mowing about 8 mph in rough terrain, so this may have been a problem. but even with my father they would bend going 4 mph. i think they are a great if you dont have bumps and not in a rush all the time. For my experience they were not worth the money. If you get them, i hope they work better for you and anyone else that purchases them. I had to replac each side bolt 5 times before i finally took them off. also i found it easier to hook up with out them to the bush hog.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #13  
gwdixon
I received my USED Pat's Quick attach in the mail yesterday that you sold me. I've very satisfied with them although my post lady complained about the weight of the box. I enjoyed doing business with you. Jim:thumbsup:
PS: anyone interested in buying a slightly used HF quick hitch that's in good shape for $70 OBO

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #14  
gwdixon
I received my USED Pat's Quick attach in the mail yesterday that you sold me. I've very satisfied with them although my post lady complained about the weight of the box. I enjoyed doing business with you. Jim:thumbsup:
PS: anyone interested in buying a slightly used HF quick hitch that's in good shape for $70 OBO

Heavy box indeed. My wife usually takes packages into the Post Office to mail. An outright, "No thank you" on that package.

The Pat's inserts should fit just fine.

Hey, I just had a thought. If you like the Pat's and will sell me the old Kubota inserts & levers then I can cut them up and use them for the Pat's weld-ons that are coming on Monday. I'll give $45 with free shipping. A medium flat rate box from USPS will cost about $15 to send - no weight restriction if under 70 lbs. Let me know by PM.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #15  
I think I'll keep the original inserts with the balls to enhance my M7040's resale/trade in value. Thanks anyway,Jim
PS: just for grins I looked up the price of the inserts with the balls & they're $206.82 ea.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #16  
I think I'll keep the original inserts with the balls to enhance my M7040's resale/trade in value. Thanks anyway,Jim
PS: just for grins I looked up the price of the inserts with the balls & they're $206.82 ea.

EACH!!!! Yeow!

That makes the Pat's price look like a bargain.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #17  
How did you go from Cat ll to a Cat l implement seeing how the Cat ll pins are 32" apart & Cat l pins are 26" apart? Thanks,Jim

This is the issue. I'm sorry to say, the Quick hitches are made for one type. the ones that you show for the arms only/balls are not true quick hitches. A dedicated cat 1 or cat 2 system, you can hitch w/out getting off the tractor. I have an older JD quick hitch and the bottom and top pins have to be in a specific location (which Deere puts on their equipment). All you need is that bushing showed in a post to adapt the bottom and keep a pin on the top (some say w/ a a bushing).

I also have a Cat 1 quick hitch similar (mine is heavier duty) to this NorTrac Three-Point Quick Hitch Category 1 | 3-Point Hitch Adapters| Northern Tool + Equipment . It has an adjustable top link hook, since most manufactures do not keep a constant distance between the bottom links and center top link. For my hard to hook up equipment, the hooks in the bottom are faster and only adjusting the top hook is simple for me.

Now, certain tractors, as I read, the bottom "balls" come out and can be switched from Cat 1 or 2. My tractor, you had to put a bushing ON the hitch pin (2) bottom, one top to convert from cat 1 to 2. But the bushings are only $3-5 each....each tractor has 2 sets in the tool box. The balls are usually pricey...so most just get/keep the Cat 2 balls and use a bushing on the pins.

If someone wanted to make an adjustable width quick hitch like the fixed units (like the Northern tool linked), it could be done. It would only be two bolts to adjust the width. If the center hook is adjustable, it would work.....

Quick hitches were made/developed because of bigger and bigger equipment (ie V rippers, 4 bottom plows). It was difficult for some to jocky the tractor around or pulling the pin for the telescoping arms didn't work or moving the implement to the correct position was not an option.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #18  
If you end up using Pat's I'd be curious for a followup thread about how they hold up. The MX8 is gonna test them for sure. That's probably a 1900lb attachment that is going to put a lot of lateral stress on the Pat's.

I carry a JD1008 (older version of MX10) with a CAT II QH. I'd be nervous using a Pat's.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #19  
If you end up using Pat's I'd be curious for a followup thread about how they hold up. The MX8 is gonna test them for sure. That's probably a 1900lb attachment that is going to put a lot of lateral stress on the Pat's.

I carry a JD1008 (older version of MX10) with a CAT II QH. I'd be nervous using a Pat's.

After viewing the Pat's Quick attach I think they will be fine as I've be using a Harbor Freight(China made) quick hitch on a 6 ft tiller and JD 709 cutter for several years with no problems. I also used HF QH on a Howse 8 ft cutter before I bought the JD 709.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #20  
If someone wanted to make an adjustable width quick hitch like the fixed units (like the Northern tool linked), it could be done. It would only be two bolts to adjust the width. If the center hook is adjustable, it would work.....

Quick hitches were made/developed because of bigger and bigger equipment (ie V rippers, 4 bottom plows). It was difficult for some to jocky the tractor around or pulling the pin for the telescoping arms didn't work or moving the implement to the correct position was not an option.

Anything is possible but IIRC the question was will a QH fit both Cat l & Cat ll which it won't without SERIOUS ALTERATIONS!