Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #21  
Other options:

You could modify the cat 1 implements to clevis mounts so they had two hitch points:

Cat1-2implement.jpg

Or change the single mount to use a dual category pin:

Cat1-2pins.JPG

Bruce

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #22  
After viewing the Pat's Quick attach I think they will be fine as I've be using a Harbor Freight(China made) quick hitch on a 6 ft tiller and JD 709 cutter for several years with no problems. I also used HF QH on a Howse 8 ft cutter before I bought the JD 709.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Pat's having owned a CAT I set. My concern is the lateral stress put on by the heavy cutter with it's COG at least 4' behind the pins. If Pat's has a weakness it would be the small bolts used to hold each one straight on the 3pt arm. Those same small bolts would have that lateral stress applied to them.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #23  
Other options:

You could modify the cat 1 implements to clevis mounts so they had two hitch points:

View attachment 361085

Bruce

Now we're talking. This the perfect fix/modification.

I modified two CAT I attachments to fit CAT II QH using that method. Works great. I can use them with my CAT II tractor and my Brother can use them with his CAT I tractor. Both of us using QH's.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #24  
Yeah, I'm familiar with Pat's having owned a CAT I set. My concern is the lateral stress put on by the heavy cutter with it's COG at least 4' behind the pins. If Pat's has a weakness it would be the small bolts used to hold each one straight on the 3pt arm. Those same small bolts would have that lateral stress applied to them.

That is why the Pat's inserts are especially nice. No bolts, no clamps, none of the other adjustment stuff (shims for example). The inserts just slide into place where the telescoping balls were mounted and the existing OEM pin is used to secure them with the same geometry as the original balls. No telescoping ball mounts...SOL.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #25  
Now we're talking. This the perfect fix/modification.

I modified two CAT I attachments to fit CAT II QH using that method. Works great. I can use them with my CAT II tractor and my Brother can use them with his CAT I tractor. Both of us using QH's.

ovrszd & bcp
Modifying the implement to accept Cat l & Cat ll was not in the thread title. I will refresh your memory on the title of this thread """Re: Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch""".
These Cat l/Cat ll pins in your photo will not transform a true Cat l implement into a Cat ll without the aid of a welder
Anything can be ACCOMPLISHED with a welder/cutting torch and a very experienced operator!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Cat1-2pins.JPG
    Cat1-2pins.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 398
   / Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #26  
gwdixon, that's slick. Didn't know they offered those. That definitely solves that problem!!!

TxJim, that's what we are saying, modify the attachment with clevis brackets and you can pick it up with either kind of QH. And the modification can be done on a factory CAT I attachment or a factory CAT II attachment. Problem solved without any kind of hack job.

Modify the attachment with the pins, CAT I turned in, CAT II turned out and you get the same result.

It's just stronger to create clevis brackets.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #27  
Pat has an interesting system for sure. Not sure how much weight it could carry, as stated those centering bolts. Reminds me of the LaForge arm ends.
http://www.fronthitch.com/v3/images/[summer13]10.jpg
But they use some ball adapter.....

If I had a newer JD 5000N series w/ the L shaped lift arms, in theory, I could just "build" a new slider and weld the Pat Cat 2 System on new material. The 5000N L shaped arms would keep the hooks on Pat's parallel when going from cat 1 to 2. On my 2640 (older style arms), a permanent mounted system would not work since if you set it up for cat 1 (ie welded) and then moved them out for cat 2, the hooks would not be at the right angle (parallel to the implement hitch). But he does have an interesting product. I'm afraid I'd break it w/ what I do.....

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #28  
gwdixon, that's slick. Didn't know they offered those. That definitely solves that problem!!!

TxJim, that's what we are saying, modify the attachment with clevis brackets and you can pick it up with either kind of QH. And the modification can be done on a factory CAT I attachment or a factory CAT II attachment. Problem solved without any kind of hack job.

Modify the attachment with the pins, CAT I turned in, CAT II turned out and you get the same result.

It's just stronger to create clevis brackets.

I'm just trying to get the OP's original question answered CLEARLY.
I thought the question was "will a Cat l QH fit both Cat l & Cat ll implements" or "will a Cat ll QH fit both Cat l & Cat ll implements" not can a QH be modified to fit both Cat l & Cat ll. Normal Cat l hitch pin points are 26" apart & Cat ll hitch pin points are 32" apart. Installing the pins in the photo is not a simple bolt in on Cat l implements as the Cat l ends will be TOO CLOSE together for a QH IE Cat l pins will be a lot less than 26" apart.

Attachments

• Cat1-2pins.JPG
    Cat1-2pins.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 373
   / Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #29  
Yeah, I get you. Guess this discussion is over then. :)

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #30  
I wasn't trying to imply that this thread should end but rather I was trying to keep it on track. As I previously stated anything can be altered with a cutting torch,welder & qualified operator.