Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #1  

trook

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5075E Cab
Tomorrow, I intend on purchasing a JD 5075E cab with a MX-8 rotary cutter. I already have several category 1 attachments such as a disk, fertilizer spreader and box blade that are equipped with the collars to accept the category 1 JD I-match quick hitch (from my previous tractor) that I will be using with this new tractor.

The MX-8, as I understand it, is category 2 and will not work with the category 1 quick hitch that I intend to purchase with this new tractor. Obviously, I do not want to purchase both cat 1 and cat 2 JD quick hitches. I anticipate that the MX-8 will be used much more than all other attachments, but I would certainly like the ability to attach and detach the MX-8 with ease.

What is the best solution here to be able to utilize my current cat 1 attachments with a quick hitch while still being able to use a quick hitch with the MX-8? Will I have to remove the cat 1 quick hitch every time I want to attach the MX-8 or can I somehow make these compatible? Is there a way to use a category 2 quick hitch with my current attachments (I'm not aware of this)?

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #2  
Get a Cat 2 Pat's Easy Change. (click on the blue link) Then bush the pins on the Cat 1 to make them Cat 2.

This is what I did with a Cat 2 Kubota M7040 and it works great for both categories. I was able to get the slide in replacements. Not sure if they are still made. Give them a call. They are very helpful.

Pat's is a sponsor on TBN. Check the top of the "Attachments" forum.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #3  
gwdixon
I agree on getting Cat 2 Pat's easy change. Only other option would be convert MX 8 to Cat l hitch.
OSHA will be after you for removing the pto safety shield that's always in the way when attaching/detaching pto coupler.:eek:

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #4  
looks like priefert has stopped making these but it is just what you asked for.

Priefert Quick Attach

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #5  
Another option that I had wished I'd done is to buy the weld-on Pat's Cat 2, cut off the ball ends of the tractor's 3PH, and weld the Pat's in the ball's place. That would keep the extendable feature of the lower lift arm hook-ups.

I may just do it anyway and sell the current set of Pat's. Trouble is, they were custom made for the dimensions of the M7040. However, they will fit a L5240 since my neighbor bought a set and the measurements were the same.

Oh, well...decisions, decisions.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #6  
Without researching the width dimensions to verify if it will work, you may be able to buy a Cat 2 hitch then just swap the pins on the smaller stuff to Cat 2 size. I don't know if putting Cat 1 pins in a heavy bush hog like the MX8 would be safe, but upgrading all the small stuff to larger pins would be a snap. The attachment bolt holes in CAT 1 and 2 are the same diameter, just the pins are larger. First thing I had to do with my tiller was swap out the Cat 1 pins with Cat 2 so they fit my tractors hitch. I don't use a quick hitch so I have no idea if the width is the same. Google the hitch dimensions and you might get a standard dimension, but not all companies follow that to the letter either.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #7  
I have a Cat 2 QH and converted several implements to fit by getting extended Cat 1 pins and the Cat 1 to Cat 3 QH bushings. You need to use the bushing with raised end or the implement WILL fall off. Things like a spreader work out fine but I would imagine you could tear up a too light box blade on your bigger tractor. Be safe! Here is what I used:

image.jpg

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch
Deerherd,

I thought about that. What about the increased distance from the top hook of the quick hitch versus the top pin of the implement. Are the distances different or is the only difference the distance between the bottom pins?

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #9  
Only difference is the width of the bottom pins. I have several implements, such as a rake and box blade that are both cat 1 & 2 QH compatible.

Edit: I just saw you have a Deere. Not sure if it is different.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #10  
Another option that I had wished I'd done is to buy the weld-on Pat's Cat 2, cut off the ball ends of the tractor's 3PH, and weld the Pat's in the ball's place. That would keep the extendable feature of the lower lift arm hook-ups.
Oh, well...decisions, decisions.

If you decide to sell the Pats easy change in your photo PM me with the price you want as I'm going to check TODAY with Pat when they open on availability & price. As you can ascertain from my profile I own a M7040.