Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Tractor
    Massey 1652 HST Cab

Default Re: QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?

Sorry, duplicate post
    Massey 1652 HSTC - TEREX PT70 CTL
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR
    - JD Gator 620i
    Stump Bucket * 60" Tine Bucket * 60" HD Grapple Bucket * 68" 4-in-1 Bucket * 72" GP Bucket * 72" Rock Bucket
    90" Hi-Cap Bucket * QA Forks * QA Tree-Puller * 96" HD BackBlade * 84" Dual-Grader * 84" BoxBlade * 84" Rake
    78" Box Disc * 72" LP Seeder * 3pt StumpGrinder * 3pt Chipper * 96" Ford Flail * ATI Pre-Seeder 805

Tractor
    Massey 1652 HST Cab

Yeah, you guys are talking AG tires, which are typically narrower than R4's anyhow.... I believe. I "emailed" a question into Titan Tire, but I'm still waiting for their response. I guess my main question now, is whether or not it would be "OK" to use 12" rims for the 17.5Lx24's.

Does anyone know if these 24" rims are STANDARD for the different tractors? Are the bolt patters & bore the same? (I'm talking about industry-wide.... different brands included)
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR
    - JD Gator 620i
    Stump Bucket * 60" Tine Bucket * 60" HD Grapple Bucket * 68" 4-in-1 Bucket * 72" GP Bucket * 72" Rock Bucket
    90" Hi-Cap Bucket * QA Forks * QA Tree-Puller * 96" HD BackBlade * 84" Dual-Grader * 84" BoxBlade * 84" Rake
    78" Box Disc * 72" LP Seeder * 3pt StumpGrinder * 3pt Chipper * 96" Ford Flail * ATI Pre-Seeder 805

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 240, JD Z950A, JD 4115

Quote Originally Posted by TSO View Post
    Yeah, you guys are talking AG tires, which are typically narrower than R4's anyhow.... I believe. I "emailed" a question into Titan Tire, but I'm still waiting for their response. I guess my main question now, is whether or not it would be "OK" to use 12" rims for the 17.5Lx24's.

Does anyone know if these 24" rims are STANDARD for the different tractors? Are the bolt patters & bore the same? (I'm talking about industry-wide.... different brands included)
    Yes, usually, the R1's are narrower, but a 14.9 R1 is just about the same exact width as a 14.9 R4 provided they came from the same manu.

I believe you can use your 12" rims, but the 17.5's will be rounded up in profile more, which will make the machine ride on the center of the tread, and wear that area faster more. I believe someone else already pointed that out, and they were correct. Also, making the tires more rounded in profile will increase the PSI of the contact area on the ground, which will basically negate and small increase in flotation, and will decrease traction a bit. It will also affect the ride and longevity of the tires to some degree because the tire's sidewalls will flex and carry the load differently than they are originally designed to do. How much is only a guess right now.

Tractor
    1996 Kubota L4200 GSTC,(sold) 1994 JCB 210S 4x4x4

Quote Originally Posted by TSO View Post

17.5Lx24 would require a 15" width rim, 12 inches would be to narrow.

RG1, My rear tires are 12.4-28's on 12' inch wide rims.
    Although I am considering on getting 14.9-28's for them.
    It seems I can get by on 12" width's with those,(according to the chart) although they do recommend 13".

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    All valid points. The tractor's drive ratio is constantly changing depending on conditions. And in most cases those conditions include soft terrain that allows the tires to slip enough to compensate for the ratio when it's out of the normal range. And to me, reinforce that 4wd should only be used when needed. And very cautiously when engaged on hard surfaces that don't allow the tires to easily slip.
    The misunderstood interesting technical point I was hoping to "steer" some people toward, was the common misconception of tire diameter being valid on AG tractors for linear travel calculations. The overlooked fact being: In soft ground, either mud or snow, the tire is actually moving on the ( radius- lug height ), where on hard surfaces it's closer to ( tire carcass + 3/4 lug height ). That's even an oversimplification not factoring in mass and tire deflection.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlack View Post
    The misunderstood interesting technical point I was hoping to "steer" some people toward, was the common misconception of tire diameter being valid on AG tractors for linear travel calculations. The overlooked fact being: In soft ground, either mud or snow, the tire is actually moving on the ( radius- lug height ), where on hard surfaces it's closer to ( tire carcass + 3/4 lug height ). That's even an oversimplification not factoring in mass and tire deflection.
    It's valid for AG tractors as well. If the front tire is sinking into the soft ground, then the rears are as well. Farmers that I know with FWA tractors pay close attention to tire size and even tire air pressure.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Massey 1652 HST Cab

Ok, so ... anyone know if the rims are industry standard for sizing (bolt & bore)? That would make it easier if I chose to find 15" wide rims.
    Last edited by TSO; 03-12-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR
    - JD Gator 620i

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910