QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?
Sorry, duplicate post

Yeah, you guys are talking AG tires, which are typically narrower than R4's anyhow.... I believe. I "emailed" a question into Titan Tire, but I'm still waiting for their response. I guess my main question now, is whether or not it would be "OK" to use 12" rims for the 17.5Lx24's.

Does anyone know if these 24" rims are STANDARD for the different tractors? Are the bolt patters & bore the same? (I'm talking about industry-wide.... different brands included)

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #93  
Yeah, you guys are talking AG tires, which are typically narrower than R4's anyhow.... I believe. I "emailed" a question into Titan Tire, but I'm still waiting for their response. I guess my main question now, is whether or not it would be "OK" to use 12" rims for the 17.5Lx24's.

Does anyone know if these 24" rims are STANDARD for the different tractors? Are the bolt patters & bore the same? (I'm talking about industry-wide.... different brands included)
Yes, usually, the R1's are narrower, but a 14.9 R1 is just about the same exact width as a 14.9 R4 provided they came from the same manu.

I believe you can use your 12" rims, but the 17.5's will be rounded up in profile more, which will make the machine ride on the center of the tread, and wear that area faster more. I believe someone else already pointed that out, and they were correct. Also, making the tires more rounded in profile will increase the PSI of the contact area on the ground, which will basically negate and small increase in flotation, and will decrease traction a bit. It will also affect the ride and longevity of the tires to some degree because the tire's sidewalls will flex and carry the load differently than they are originally designed to do. How much is only a guess right now.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #94  

17.5Lx24 would require a 15" width rim, 12 inches would be to narrow.

RG1, My rear tires are 12.4-28's on 12' inch wide rims.
Although I am considering on getting 14.9-28's for them.
It seems I can get by on 12" width's with those,(according to the chart) although they do recommend 13".

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #95  
All valid points. The tractor's drive ratio is constantly changing depending on conditions. And in most cases those conditions include soft terrain that allows the tires to slip enough to compensate for the ratio when it's out of the normal range. And to me, reinforce that 4wd should only be used when needed. And very cautiously when engaged on hard surfaces that don't allow the tires to easily slip.

The misunderstood interesting technical point I was hoping to "steer" some people toward, was the common misconception of tire diameter being valid on AG tractors for linear travel calculations. The overlooked fact being: In soft ground, either mud or snow, the tire is actually moving on the ( radius- lug height ), where on hard surfaces it's closer to ( tire carcass + 3/4 lug height ). That's even an oversimplification not factoring in mass and tire deflection.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #96  
The misunderstood interesting technical point I was hoping to "steer" some people toward, was the common misconception of tire diameter being valid on AG tractors for linear travel calculations. The overlooked fact being: In soft ground, either mud or snow, the tire is actually moving on the ( radius- lug height ), where on hard surfaces it's closer to ( tire carcass + 3/4 lug height ). That's even an oversimplification not factoring in mass and tire deflection.

It's valid for AG tractors as well. If the front tire is sinking into the soft ground, then the rears are as well. Farmers that I know with FWA tractors pay close attention to tire size and even tire air pressure.

Ok, so ... anyone know if the rims are industry standard for sizing (bolt & bore)? That would make it easier if I chose to find 15" wide rims.

Last edited: