QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Just picked up a new Massey 1648. It came standard with 10x16.5 R4's. I prefer the 12x16.5's that are on my LS. The wider/taller tires helped with stability and floated better.

We're only talking a couple inches difference. Would that cause any harmful problems to the driveline? If so, what?

ForumRunner_20140206_005557.png

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #2  
If it is four wheel drive yes it will be problem. The tire sizes are matched to the gear ratios of the front and rear drive lines so that they work in sync. If you put larger front tires than stock they will try to make you go faster than the rear tires will which means either the fronts or rears are going to be constantly slipping. I would not recommend it

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?
If it is four wheel drive yes it will be problem. The tire sizes are matched to the gear ratios of the front and rear drive lines so that they work in sync. If you put larger front tires than stock they will try to make you go faster than the rear tires will which means either the fronts or rears are going to be constantly slipping. I would not recommend it

It is 4wd, and I thought about that, but what makes me wonder is that you can get different sized rear tires as an option, with the same size fronts.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #4  
Your bucket might not go low enough for optimum digging and a vertical muffler/exhaust pipe might be tilted back a bit. I noticed this when I put used aircraft tires on the front of my 2WD MF. I was able to lower the bucket a notch by moving a pair of pins. Couldn't do anything about the exhaust, I hope it's only cosmetic.

Last edited:
   / QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #5  
It is 4wd, and I thought about that, but what makes me wonder is that you can get different sized rear tires as an option, with the same size fronts.

Are you sure the front tires would be the same size?
The tire options (for MFWD machines) on the Deere site indicate specific tire sizes (depending on the type of tire) for their tractors.

You could check with a dealer...but I do think you'd cause drive train problems.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #6  
If the front of the tractor is raised higher than the rear. The tractor will be rolling uphill and will therefore use extra fuel.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #7  
The distance covered in one complete revolution of front and rear tires on a Four Wheel Dive vehicle needs to remain as specified when the front drive gears were engineered. Go smaller and the drive line will be in a bind trying to skid the front rubber forward. Go larger and the front rubber will be trying to outpace the rear rubber and result in a bind with opposite forces.

For Example:
3.1416 x Diameter = Circumference
Circumference (rolling distance of one revolution) on a 24" tire is: 75.4"
Circumference on a 26" tire is: 81.7"

Adding 2" to the diameter would result in the tire traveling 6.3" further for each revolution too much for a drive line that requires a fixed ratio of circumference between rears and fronts. Tire width doesn't matter....within reason.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #8  
If the front of the tractor is raised higher than the rear. The tractor will be rolling uphill and will therefore use extra fuel.

So, if the rear is higher than the front, could you get by with no fuel? :laughing:

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?
Are you sure the front tires would be the same size?
The tire options (for MFWD machines) on the Deere site indicate specific tire sizes (depending on the type of tire) for their tractors.

You could check with a dealer...but I do think you'd cause drive train problems.

Yeah, you can also get the rears in 17.5Lx24, which are wider but slightly shorter than the stock 14.9x24. But the front tire size remains the same.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #10  
Yeah, you can also get the rears in 17.5Lx24, which are wider but slightly shorter than the stock 14.9x24. But the front tire size remains the same.
Since you have both tractor there now, why not measure the rolling distance on both fronts and verify that they are the same or nearly same. They may be wider but no difference in OD. If they are the same, you could even swap them out between the tractors