Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass?

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #11  
I put one of these on my b2400 a couple of years ago. It has made contact with several trees and still does its job. The only drawback is I cannot trailer the tractor with the top on. at least not over 35mph. but it is easy to remove.
Femco TuffTop Canopy

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #12  
i talked to my dealer about adding the canopy.an they said the fiberglass canopys wont h up at all.an to order a steel canopy.the steel 1s cost $400 or a tad over unless they went up.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #13  
I had one on my jd 2305 and hated it. It did not have any sound insulation on the under side and it made the tractor seam much louder while driving it. It made it seam so loud that I couldn't enjoy putting around the yard or a trip to the mail box. I took it off after a couple weeks and sold it.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #14  
I've decided I want a canopy to mount on my JD 5065E. I use the tractor bushhogging in some areas with low limbs and am worried about cracking a fiberglass canopy/sunshade. I'm leaning towards aluminum, but they seem harder to find. I'm not opposed to fiberglass, but I'd hate to drop $500+shipping just to have a limb fly back and crack the fiberglass into a million pieces. Pro's, con's, experiences?

crowbar, I don't think you can go wrong with a canopy from Bare-Co. I've scrapped a number of tree limbs with mine, and see absolutely no damage. They are light, and strong. I paid $300 for the standard size. One for your size tractor would probably run more. Bare Co USA - BARE-Co Senior Canopy

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #15  
I cannot trailer the tractor with the top on. at least not over 35mph. but it is easy to remove.

OP - i have nothing to add since i have no experience, but instead of starting new thread i m hoping to piggy back on yours. i mow a lot of field's pastures in the summer and do lot of work in and around trees all year long. i would like a canopy in the summer mowing, but want to be able to remove it by myself easily (unbolting several bolt is easy, lift 300lbs of steel is not), and what about towing t highway speeds ~65mph how much vibration is there? maybe i'd be better off with a piece of PVC and an umbrella

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass?
I'm also finding that sizes are all over the place on these things too. I'm leaning towards a plastic one right now due to size/weight/pricing. I'm just wondering if 48"x52" will provide enough coverage. Of course something is better than the nothing I have now.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #17  
I thought the home made one someone posted here, made from an old road sign was the cat's pajamas. I have noticed that my local metal recycler often has old road signs.

Last edited:
   / Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #18  
Some notes on the Wells Ag model. I would guess it weighs less than 100 lbs. It has a layer of sound deadening materiel on the underside. I didn't think the tractor was any louder than without it. It took about 2 weeks for it to come in so I ran the tractor without it for that time period. But I would not want to be taking it on and off, as it is a two man job, unless you have some kind of hoist or fixture to hold it while you line it up straight and get the bolts tightened. you could probably trailer it backwards so the wind did not catch it and rip it off. Or you could fashion forward supports to the steel angle iron frame up front down to your FEL lift mounts. In fact there are holes in those mounting posts on the Kioti already. I could probably fashion some supports for transport out of some 1/2 or 3/4 EMT with the ends smashed with a hammer pretty quickly. Drill 2 1/4 inch holes in the canopy frame and fasten with some bolts and nuts, and the whole project would probably take 30 minutes to put on and 3 minutes to take off once you arrived at your destination. Or just leave it on for that matter.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #19  
OP - i have nothing to add since i have no experience, but instead of starting new thread i m hoping to piggy back on yours. i mow a lot of field's pastures in the summer and do lot of work in and around trees all year long. i would like a canopy in the summer mowing, but want to be able to remove it by myself easily (unbolting several bolt is easy, lift 300lbs of steel is not), and what about towing t highway speeds ~65mph how much vibration is there? maybe i'd be better off with a piece of PVC and an umbrella

the one I have is very easy to remove, 4 hand nuts and it comes right off. It is light. I can carry it with one hand, but it takes 2 to wiggle it off the mount. Like I say light weight, and easy to handle

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #20  
"it made the tractor seam much louder while driving it" QUOTE,

Ah, the laws of unintended consequences. My Cushman Canopy has sound deadening material on the underside. But I would never run that thing without hearing protection anyway, so it's a moot point!

You can buy that stuff, and I have to for another project, but it is expensive. Plus it really gets dusty!