Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass?

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
I've decided I want a canopy to mount on my JD 5065E. I use the tractor bushhogging in some areas with low limbs and am worried about cracking a fiberglass canopy/sunshade. I'm leaning towards aluminum, but they seem harder to find. I'm not opposed to fiberglass, but I'd hate to drop $500+shipping just to have a limb fly back and crack the fiberglass into a million pieces. Pro's, con's, experiences?

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #2  
Aluminum bends. Fiberglass is pretty strong and tuf. Too much and it will crush and crack in an area but still return to shape and maintain strength. I have damaged my fiberglas one several times and havnt done any fixing. You cant tell it without a close look. Cracks do not migrate because of the reinforcing fibers.
larry

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #3  
I was considering a canopy as well. My Dad once backed our JD 6200 into a tree. I saw the plastic fender deflect quite substantially and then all but returned to original condition. Curious if a canopy could be found made of that plastic.

I just hate the look of banged up, abused equipment!

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #4  
Like Larry said -

Metal bends. My absent minded son drove my M4700 into a low branch

ForumRunner_20131017_080018.png

If you look at the front left corner of the canopy you can see the bend which we have to get out. Fiberglass would have shattered.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #5  
FWIW...fiberglass w/polyester or epoxy will not "crack the fiberglass into a million pieces"...
...in fact, most "fiberglass" products that have been damaged can be repaired to back to original results for much less than something that will never look the same (as new)...

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #6  
I was considering a canopy as well. My Dad once backed our JD 6200 into a tree. I saw the plastic fender deflect quite substantially and then all but returned to original condition. Curious if a canopy could be found made of that plastic.

I just hate the look of banged up, abused equipment!

Just bought a Femco plastic top. called tuff top.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #7  
I have a steel one. Like it pretty well, I haven't torn it up yet. I have hit quite a few small limbs, no damage, but a big one sure would wad it up.

Wells Ag Company - Tractor Canopies

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #8  
I have a steel one. Like it pretty well, I haven't torn it up yet. I have hit quite a few small limbs, no damage, but a big one sure would wad it up.

DITTO on the wells ag brand.Had one on my 2008 Kioti tractor.One of the best on the market IMHO.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass?
FWIW...fiberglass w/polyester or epoxy will not "crack the fiberglass into a million pieces"...
...in fact, most "fiberglass" products that have been damaged can be repaired to back to original results for much less than something that will never look the same (as new)...

True, I was being a little over the top. However I do not posess the skills to repair fiberglass. I can however work a hammer to straighten steel or aluminum up enough to be satisfactory.

Just bought a Femco plastic top. called tuff top.

Ohhhh, didn't know I could get plastic. I sent them an e-mail. Maybe more affordable in both price and shipping.

DITTO on the wells ag brand.Had one on my 2008 Kioti tractor.One of the best on the market IMHO.

They appear to sell through dealers only. I've sent an e-mail to see if there is any dealer support in my area.

/ Canopy/Sunshade - Aluminum or Fiberglass? #10  
I paid $198 for the Wells AG steel canopy. I bought it at the dealers during the initial purchase.. They said this was dealer cost. I don't know.