Weight for control of implements

/ Weight for control of implements #11  
I have a similar sized tractor (88 hp, 10,200 lbs) and required more front ballast to keep things straight. The easiest way to add more weight was to put a scoop of gravel in the bucket. It's also an easy and inexpensive way to test if that's the problem or in determining how much weight you need. Also locking the rear differential worked to some degree provided I wasn't going through varied soil conditions.

I use a chisel plow exclusively now with curved shanks and have them set up to turn against each other that makes tracking a straight line much easier.

Here is a white paper that has enough info to make your head hurt on these variables that compares single/dual set ups, radial and bias tires, soil conditions etc:

http://bsesrv214.bse.vt.edu/Dist_Lecture_27/REFERENCES/Demo_Templates.pdf

All that said you stated you wouldn't mind buying a bigger tractor if that would help. We like it when people buy new tractors, big ones especially! Even if the ballast thing works out a new tractor would be better!

Good luck!

/ Weight for control of implements #12  
Let me make cliff notes in hopes of advice.

Tractor is 93 hp and weighs 10k.

Don't really run out of power but when plowing it is hard to control and sometimes lose traction.

There are weight kits that allow me to add up to 2000lbs to my tractor. But they are expensive.

Based on my current weight/hp will adding 2000 lbs make a big difference or do I need a bigger tractor?

20% more weight would make a day and night difference.

I have a 75HP Mahindra 7520. To get the max out of the tractor, I have it ballasted to the weight of 12,000lbs. All 4 of my tires are loaded, I doubled up on the front end weights and tripled up on the recommended rear wheel weights. I basically run out of power and traction at about the same time. I can always drop a gear for more power, but traction is lost and I wouldn't turn the ground properly even if I had the traction.

Attachments

• P5270006.JPG
    P5270006.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 77
  • P9270001.JPG
    P9270001.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 78
   / Weight for control of implements #13  
All that said you stated you wouldn't mind buying a bigger tractor if that would help. We like it when people buy new tractors, big ones especially! Even if the ballast thing works out a new tractor would be better!

Good luck!
Dave, his newer tractor would be 30 years old. He said " I am kind of nervous about trading because my tractor is newer, low hours and I know it has no problems. Getting a 30 yr old tractor is a huge unknown. Then again I would hate to drop 2k on weights and still be unhappy with my tractors performance. "

/ Weight for control of implements #14  
Brian,

I was going from the OP where he said this. I missed the 30 year old even swap thing.

I am not totally opposed to even buying a larger tractor if that is what I need. This one I got because it had a loader and I needed that but now I have a skid steer for the loader and all I use the tractor for is plowing and shredding. I could likely sell it and buy a larger one without loader for about the same money.

/ Weight for control of implements #15  
Brian,

I was going from the OP where he said this. I missed the 30 year old even swap thing.

One of my problems is that I will read something and take it in a manner completely different than was intended. :mur: One of the reasons that I use smilies so much. ;)

/ Weight for control of implements
20% more weight would make a day and night difference.

I have a 75HP Mahindra 7520. To get the max out of the tractor, I have it ballasted to the weight of 12,000lbs. All 4 of my tires are loaded, I doubled up on the front end weights and tripled up on the recommended rear wheel weights. I basically run out of power and traction at about the same time. I can always drop a gear for more power, but traction is lost and I wouldn't turn the ground properly even if I had the traction.

If I maxed out my weights I would be a 12k which is where you are at with 20 less HP and MFWD. Seems I still would have issues.

/ Weight for control of implements #17  
bdog
How many hrs are showing on the tach. on the 4440? They were nicknamed "Iron Horse" for a very good reason.

/ Weight for control of implements #18  
If I maxed out my weights I would be a 12k which is where you are at with 20 less HP and MFWD. Seems I still would have issues.

Your tractor pulls your implement now, 20% more weight will make a day and night difference. I believe that you would loose the tail wagging the dog issues. Get a bucket full of dirt and try it. I think that you will see a BIG difference.

One of my biggest downfall's is that I have R4 tires. Not the best thing to have out in the fields (1/3 less traction in soft dirt) but great for everything else that I use the tractor for. I can pull a 12' 4000lb offset disk on flat ground. Problem is that most of our ground is rolling hills and just don't have the power to use it on that land. In fact the D6 has problems if the conditions are just right as I do with the 7520 and 8' disk. :( A persons conditions-circumstances can make a HUGE difference with what their capabilities are at any certain time.

Just my :2cents: based on my own experience. ;)

bdog
How many hrs are showing on the tach. on the 4440? They were nicknamed "Iron Horse" for a very good reason.

It has 7800 hours - actual not rolled over. The 4440's are very popular here. Probably sell for more now than they did 5 years ago. They typically sell in the 20-25k range for tractors that have over 10k hours.

One way I look at it is the 4440's have depreciated all they are going to being 35 years old. Their value is in their utility capability. My tractor will likely continue to go down in value as it ages as a lot of it's value now is because it newer and low hours.

Last edited:
Your tractor pulls your implement now, 20% more weight will make a day and night difference. I believe that you would loose the tail wagging the dog issues. Get a bucket full of dirt and try it. I think that you will see a BIG difference.

One of my biggest downfall's is that I have R4 tires. Not the best thing to have out in the fields (1/3 less traction in soft dirt) but great for everything else that I use the tractor for. I can pull a 12' 4000lb offset disk on flat ground. Problem is that most of our ground is rolling hills and just don't have the power to use it on that land. In fact the D6 has problems if the conditions are just right as I do with the 7520 and 8' disk. :( A persons conditions-circumstances can make a HUGE difference with what their capabilities are at any certain time.

Just my :2cents: based on my own experience. ;)

Thanks. I am looking into what they will charge me if I buy the front and wheel weights.