Weight for control of implements

/ Weight for control of implements #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX 7320
My tractor is 93 engine hp and has a base weight of 6,800 lbs. My loader and bucket probably weigh 1,500 lbs and my rear tires are loaded with a total of 1,600 lbs of fluid. Operating weight of 10,000 lbs +/-

I was plowing yesterday with a four bottom rollover plow. I had enough power and traction to pull it but it was pushing me around a lot. It was hard to make perfect straight passes as when the plow would bite in harder spots it would tend to pull me to the side.

When plowing with my nine shank chisel plow I get a similar but not as pronounced effect. With the chisel if I go too deep the tractor will lose traction.

I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to add more weight to my tractor? My front tires will hold a combined 300lb of fluid and the weight kits would add up to 880lbs on the front and 1080lbs on the rear. Would adding this much weight make a significant difference? The weights are not cheap but I feel like I am in a ford ranger pulling a 30' gooseneck. Power is not necessarily the problem but it feels like the cart is pushing the horse.

I am not totally opposed to even buying a larger tractor if that is what I need. This one I got because it had a loader and I needed that but now I have a skid steer for the loader and all I use the tractor for is plowing and shredding. I could likely sell it and buy a larger one without loader for about the same money.

/ Weight for control of implements
Let me make cliff notes in hopes of advice.

Tractor is 93 hp and weighs 10k.

Don't really run out of power but when plowing it is hard to control and sometimes lose traction.

There are weight kits that allow me to add up to 2000lbs to my tractor. But they are expensive.

Based on my current weight/hp will adding 2000 lbs make a big difference or do I need a bigger tractor?

/ Weight for control of implements #3  
I have a friend that has both a Case 95hp and Kubota 125hp, both with loaders, but no loaded tires or weights. I've used both for haying, discing, pulling a chisel plow and pulling a batwing. The Case never seems to run out of power, but there's a HUGE difference between the two when it comes to getting power to the ground. I think it's the weight myself. Just my two cents.

/ Weight for control of implements #4  
Seems like I have read that recommended weight per HP is around 125 lbs. Based on that you should be around, 11,625 with 93 HP. I suspect a little more weight will help keep the front from drifting while more weight in the rear will add traction.

Getting a mold board plow to track straight through different soil conditions is a real challenge. I admit I never could no matter how hard I tried or adjustments I made.

Getting a mold board plow to track straight through different soil conditions is a real challenge. I admit I never could no matter how hard I tried or adjustments I made.

I have never pulled one prior to this but it was so crooked it looks like I was drunk.

/ Weight for control of implements #6  
If you want to see available weights for your tractor, check out the weights we offer at tractorweightsonline.com.

Weight orders totaling over 1,000 pounds ship free to a commercial business within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC.
Travis

/ Weight for control of implements #7  
We had a Ford 9000 (120HP) and it carried 1100# of steel weight on the front and had water in the 11:00x16 front tires also. The rears were loaded with water and had full cast iron weight set (I think 4 per wheel but cant be sure) plus dual wheels on the rear and with a 12 foot wide chisel plow, it could still pull the front wheels off the ground if you sank it down to the frame which would be about 24" deep. There really is no need to go that deep with any plow.
To answer your question, you need a lot more weight than what you have on a 95 HP tractor. Load it up with ballast in all the tires and the max allowed for weight on the rears and it will pull a lot better. If you keep the loader on the front when plowing, you might get by without additional front weights (not sure you could put them on with a loader anyway). I would say that you need to be in the 13000-15000# range for maximum pulling effort.

/ Weight for control of implements #8  
EverythingAttachment
I looked at your rear wheel weights for a Kubota M7040. My tractor has cast rear wheels. Will weight number 6151 fit and why does it state "7" weights?

Thanks Ted. I was looking at the weights on your site already.

More or less it works out to around $1 per pound so looking at 2k to weight up my tractor.

A local dealer will trade me straight across for a 4440 (130 hp and heavy). Before I got my skid steer I would not have considered it as big tractors like that are clumsy but all my tractor is used for now is mowing and plowing and it seems bigger is better.

I am kind of nervous about trading because my tractor is newer, low hours and I know it has no problems. Getting a 30 yr old tractor is a huge unknown. Then again I would hate to drop 2k on weights and still be unhappy with my tractors performance.

/ Weight for control of implements #10  
EverythingAttachment
I looked at your rear wheel weights for a Kubota M7040. My tractor has cast rear wheels. Will weight number 6151 fit and why does it state "7" weights?

Yes, the 6151s are 146 pound weights for 28" & 30" steel or cast wheels. We offer them in sets of at least 1,000 pounds because the shipping is free for 1,000+ pounds.
If you want to order less, you can but you'd have to pay the freight. I can quote it if you give me a call.
The 2050 weight(500#) comes in a set of 2, if that would work for you.
Travis