Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #501  
A remote on the winch is a fantastic time saver, there are kits with a small hydraulic cylinder, a electro valve and a remote witch can be adapted to most of the small logging winches.
wonder how much they would cost. I have a Wallenstine and man I wish I had a remote control.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #502  
Not much winter here so I was able to cut a bit of firewood and use my Wallenstine winch on my l4740. Think I will rig up a remote control over the winter. Today's snow covered the farm and the wood piles. The white snow contrasted the waters of St Ann's bay. A beautiful site indeed.

image-4101759163.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #503  
Nice picture for sure ga. We could use some of that snow and cold. We have had warm and rain for over 3 weeks now. I have a lot of logs cut and down in the woods but it is to muddy to skid them out. So muddy I can hardly get down in there to cut. Hope it freezes back up before it snows to much so I don't have to dig them out.

A remote control would save a lot of walking but I am not sure I would want to be to far from the tractor while winching. To much goes on with and around the tractor to not be close by watching and feeling. Maybe if you are winching across a field or smooth going I would trust it. This is just my conservative thinking I have never tried a remote control so don't know if my feeling is right. Maybe someone here has one and can comment.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #504  
Oldpath, I have an 07 B7610. The winch is a Farmi JL290. I only have 2 spots where I have to drop the load and winch them back in when skidding out. I cut a new skid road this summer to avoid one area. The second one, I wont be logging for 2-3 years. Reguarding the notches, it depends on the hitch that I am pulling and the weight I have. Being a small tractor, I have to really watch what I skid out. Sometimes I can pull 5-6 logs, other times just 1. just depends on the size of the logs.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #505  
Not much winter here so I was able to cut a bit of firewood and use my Wallenstine winch on my l4740. Think I will rig up a remote control over the winter. Today's snow covered the farm and the wood piles. The white snow contrasted the waters of St Ann's bay. A beautiful site indeed.

View attachment 404309

This is a nice scene.

404309d1419805641-tractors-wood-show-your-pics-image-4101759163-jpg

I have no tractors and wood photos, but I do have the first day my tractor made it on my new property.

1913281_10203532655576528_7446273438924779270_o.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #506  
As i was told on a course I took, when using a logging winch, watch the tractor not the log.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #507  
A remote control would save a lot of walking but I am not sure I would want to be to far from the tractor while winching. To much goes on with and around the tractor to not be close by watching and feeling. Maybe if you are winching across a field or smooth going I would trust it. This is just my conservative thinking I have never tried a remote control so don't know if my feeling is right. Maybe someone here has one and can comment.

If you walk the log when winching you have a good feel whats going on, if you pull straight its not much that goes wrong. I have just for fun testet my MF135 and my 3t Franzgard and pulled in an angle and its real easy to pull it so the tractor starts to lift the rear wheel in the air.
If you pull at 540 rpm at an angel you are on the side in a second if the log digs down hard.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #508  

If you walk the log when winching you have a good feel whats going on, if you pull straight its not much that goes wrong. I have just for fun testet my MF135 and my 3t Franzgard and pulled in an angle and its real easy to pull it so the tractor starts to lift the rear wheel in the air.
If you pull at 540 rpm at an angel you are on the side in a second if the log digs down hard.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #509  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #510  
I'm with Gordon and Avgv on the remote question. I have a Norse 2500, fairly small older unit, with a 6500# Ford 2120 tractor. When I'm walking the cable out to the log, I think a remote would be useful, but being near the tractor on a pull is important. I can easily tell if the log hits a stump or gets hung going around another tree.
More walking, probably, but safer. Slow and steady, and I still get the logs I'm after.
Jim