Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #521  
In that first photo, the climber is about to go for a spin on the fir tree convertible... Take off the top and go for a ride. Those guys really get whipped around on what's left of the tree after the top falls. A handy skill for sure, but I'm gonna stick to the ground work personally.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #522  
What I really like with my snatch block is the easy way to use a round sling, you can use a chain but that are hard on the anker tree.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #523  
Ya Gordon...the ground was not frozen here either but just starting to firm up. Three weeks of rain and above normal temp kept logging some areas a trick. I was lucky to have some wood to cut where I was able to winch the logs to a gravel road.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #524  
I took out 4 135' trees this year....douglas firs. 3 were leaning and one was sick.

Hired a climber who cut them in sections. Look closely; he's in the first photo.

It took me weeks to clean them up, using cables and a snatch block. I skid them
backwards, using my loader to lift one end. Then, its the forks.

I measured these at 55 lb/cu.ft. when cut, and use that to calculate weight.

2nd photo is my chainsaw-testing log.

I like it on the ground too.
That is a lot of wood in four trees. What did you do with it.
My daughter lives in Portland OR. Every time we go out there I am totally mesmerized by the big doug firs. Makes the little trees I fool with look silly.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #525  
Did you have them topped so they wouldn't land on something when they fell?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #526  
I like it on the ground too.
That is a lot of wood in four trees. What did you do with it.
My daughter lives in Portland OR. Every time we go out there I am totally mesmerized by the big doug firs. Makes the little trees I fool with look silly.

I remember reading once that out in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia when they first logged, any tree under 3' diameter was considered a weed, not worth processing.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #527  
With the addition of a shopping basket on the log lifter, they skidder does hauls of 2400lbs of stone, bless it

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #528  
In that first photo, the climber is about to go for a spin on the fir tree convertible...
Take off the top and go for a ride. Those guys really get whipped around on what's left of the tree after the top falls.

Yeah, he gets a ride, esp for the first, highest cut. He knew what he was doing, and was anchored with his belt and also
rope. His helper on the ground sure had to scamper to avoid the falling "widow-makers" that had to be cut to ascend the
tree. Those branches were typically 8" diameter and 35' long.

The reason these trees were cut in sections is that they are within 100' of my house on a 100% (45-degree) slope. The
leaning ones had been affected by earlier mudslides on this slope. I would rather pay to remove them, vs. make ins
claims for damage when they fall.

I have been giving away the wood. All my firewood is hardwoods, and my bandsaw mill is not finished.

Attachments

• logs.jpg
    logs.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 263
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #529  
dfkrug those logs would go nice on my bs mill :) I'm not crazy about sawing anything bigger though to hard to handle by hand eg. rolling once you have a flat side. You'll be a happy camper once you can saw your own lumber.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #530  
I have been giving away the wood. All my firewood is hardwoods, and my bandsaw mill is not finished.

It is my understanding df that fir makes for pretty good firewood. I've never burnt it myself but I did take down a hem-fir at my daughters house and bothered to split it so I'll see next season. I guess in some locations it is all they have to use which may or may not give credence to the claim.