Diesel fuel treatment

/ Diesel fuel treatment #11  
I use Seafoam in my diesel engines year round, along with an anti gel treatment in winter. I don't use it for every tank because I keep clean fuel in them, but I have had to let one sit for a long period in the past and when I finally got to run it, I added Seafoam and I could hear the engine running better and better as I ran it. Most guys who says it doesn't work do so without ever having tried it. Go to the lawn care forums and ask the guys there if it works (or tell them it doesn't). It work wells in both diesel and gasser ZTR's.

It doesn't work as an anti gel substance, but it definitely helps clean injectors and the fuel delivery system, especially if your machine has been sitting for some time with fuel in it. I've witnessed it first hand many times on different engines.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #12  
RG1 - I think the other posters may be referring to the combination of things diesels need that gasoline doesn't - diesels need fuel lubricity (well some, anyway), antigel in the north country, water demulsifiers (esp. in biodiesel areas), and cetane booster (for small IDI engines).

Gasoline engines need none of that, and SeaFoam has none of that. I see SeaFoam recently came out with a 'diesel' formula, trying to expand their business, but it's already pretty chuck full of mature additive suppliers now.

Best Regards.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #13  
I used diesel fuel conditioner by Kleen Flo before I put my tractor away in Dec. Has anyone used this one?

/ Diesel fuel treatment #14  
From Power Service's FAQ regarding the white bottle additive:

Question: Will it hurt my engine to use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost year-around, even though it contains an antigel for winter operation?

Answer: Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost will not hurt or harm any diesel motor if used year-around. Diesel Fuel Supplement is a multi-functional additive that has been on the market for over 40 years and has a proven record of excellent performance by thousands of diesel fuel users.

Power Service recommends using the white bottle during winter (because of its anti-gelling additive) and the silver bottle in summer (because it does not have anti-gelling additive and boosts the "cetane numbers" even more). Price-wise the silver bottle is about the same prices as the white bottle.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #15  
And they also say: Diesel Fuel Supplement is intended for use only during cold winter months when temperatures drop below + 30°F.

I know they changed their instructions and mix rates a few years back. That's when I noticed it, comparing old bottle to new bottle. That's when I switched to another brand for most use.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #16  
Seafoam, also known as snake oil. Is only IPA, naphtha gasoline and baby oil/mineral oil.
Save your money and run #1 dewaxed diesel in the winter. Dose it with a little IPA to absorb the water.
I do not know about using sea foam in a diesel but when I had a 1500 Goldwing a few years ago it worked great for getting rid of the hesitation, a friend who sells and works on Stihl chainsaws swears by it. It is also great for removing carbon.
Ron

/ Diesel fuel treatment #17  
And they also say: Diesel Fuel Supplement is intended for use only during cold winter months when temperatures drop below + 30°F.
Saying any anti-gel product's intended use is when it's below 30F is common sense and is not the same as saying you can't/shouldn't use it when the temps are above 30F.

You can't get any clearer than this.

Question: Will it hurt my engine to use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost year-around, even though it contains an antigel for winter operation?

Answer: Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost will not hurt or harm any diesel motor if used year-around.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #18  
As a Seafoam fan, I must say that anyone that contends it does not work has not used it in an engine that really needed it. My mule was having hesitation and surging and missing problems--I fed it about 1/2 can of Seafoam in a couple gallons of gas, and within several days it was running just like a new one.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #19  
Saying any anti-gel product's intended use is when it's below 30F is common sense and is not the same as saying you can't/shouldn't use it when the temps are above 30F.

You can't get any clearer than this.

Answer: Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost will not hurt or harm any diesel motor if used year-around.

Confusing at best. No where on the bottle does it say it is beneficial to use it year round. Only that it is "intended for use ONLY during cold winter months...". The word "only" is what bothers me. Other brands encourage use year round in their instructions, and do a great job with preventing gel, so I know I can benefit from using one treatment and can carry over tanks from winter to summer if needed and still have it treated accordingly. To each their own.
But to add, I am not bashing PS. As I said above, I changed to another brand for most use because I treat my fuel nearly year round. Occasionally in the winter, when my tank is close to empty, I run a small batch of the PS treated fuel. I think all brands have their unique strengths and maybe it helps in some way to mix things up a bit. But for year round convenience PS is not my preference.

As for the OP question about Sea Foam, I've never used that in diesels. I use it in small engines once in a while, and it has helped clear things up.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #20  
I use and like Sea Foam. When it was -15F the RTV was acting up and the fuel was starting to jell. I believe I forgot to put some Power Service in the RTV, as I fueled up from main tank before getting it refilled and adding the Power Service to the main tank.

The Sea foam (the diesel type) was poured into the RTV tank and left to idle. After about 20 minutes I was plowing snow and the RTV was running great with full power and no hesitation. Pretty good for snake oil.