Diehard batteries

/ Diehard batteries #12  
Diehards are not what they used to be that is for sure. 3 years ago I put Interstate batteries in 2 of our vehicles, 1 of the batteries lasted 1 year, the other lasted 2 years. The replacement Interstate battery in the second vehicle didn't last 1 year, it had a dead cell. Interstate replaced it, again. I am not sure what my next battery is going to be... but I suspect it won't be an Interstate.,

/ Diehard batteries #13  
I've been using the Rural King batteries, made by Exide. TSC has Exide with their label too, but RK is quite a bit lower priced. RK also runs storewide sales like clockwork so I keep a shopping list and grab all the big items when they run the sales. Their Ag batteries are built for rough use and have done well in my tractors. I've done the DieHard and the Interstate thing over the years, and gone the other extreme with Walmart junk for the small batteries. These RK batteries seem to do better than the Interstate for me. I use them in everything now.

/ Diehard batteries #14  
Believe it or not, I've had real good luck with the gold looking batteries (can't think of the name right off hand) from Autozone. I also use Napa batteries and have had good luck also. No complaints from either brand.

Currently have an Autozone battery in the Chevy and a Napa battery in the tractor. Both are sealed and maintenance free. They are both pretty old. The one in my truck is just about ready for a new one. Done ran it down 2 or 3 times and it's getting weak now. This winter has took its tole on it. The one in the tractor has been ran down 2 or 3 times also. It's still strong as ever.

The battery on my zero turn mower is almost 5 years old with a little over 125 hours and has never been replaced or ran down. But I'm not sure what the brand is. Got me curious now...

For some reason, I've gotten better service life with maintenance free sealed batteries than I have with ones you have to add water or acid to.

/ Diehard batteries #15  
One thing is should we be using Deep Cycle batt instead of automotive starting batteries? Given that our tractors sit for a long time between running, conventional batteries' voltage is dropping below 11 volts and lead plate sulphatization is occurring - just a guess. Using battery tenders or trickle chargers eliminate this issue.

I've been using Costco Kirkland batteries as of late and they're made by Interstate. Once the tractor battery goes, I'll have to go about finding a proper replacement.

/ Diehard batteries #16  
I've been using the Rural King batteries, made by Exide. TSC has Exide with their label too, but RK is quite a bit lower priced. RK also runs storewide sales like clockwork so I keep a shopping list and grab all the big items when they run the sales. Their Ag batteries are built for rough use and have done well in my tractors. I've done the DieHard and the Interstate thing over the years, and gone the other extreme with Walmart junk for the small batteries. These RK batteries seem to do better than the Interstate for me. I use them in everything now.

I've been using Exide Batteries for a while too. Get them from Mill's Fleet Farm, have performed very well for me. They claim they are made in USA.

/ Diehard batteries #17  
There are no batteries that one adds acid to except for wet batteries that have not yet had acid installed when they're new, before first use. After that water is the only thing that is to be added, distilled is best.
Interstate is what I use in everything I own. Used to sell them from my foreign car shop too. They're often only as good as the charging system that supports them, and this is across all brands. Some batteries of any brand can be duds too. Allowing any battery to drain below 80% of full charge will shorten the batteries life too.
Dats the facts jack!

/ Diehard batteries #18  
One used to find tractor batteries that were dry and at time of sale the electrolyte was added. Anyone seen any of those lately. IIRC they did have to be charged to full capacity prior to use. I guess that is why they are all wet now as everyone wants them right now.
I had a Diehard battery die in my lawnmower after one year of use. Sears replaced it for free and the replacement is still in it after 2 winters. Many of the small lawnmower batteries die after one year of life. I do keep a trickle charger on it during the off months.

/ Diehard batteries #19  
Gary Fowler said:
One used to find tractor batteries that were dry and at time of sale the electrolyte was added. Anyone seen any of those lately. IIRC they did have to be charged to full capacity prior to use. I guess that is why they are all wet now as everyone wants them right now.
I had a Diehard battery die in my lawnmower after one year of use. Sears replaced it for free and the replacement is still in it after 2 winters. Many of the small lawnmower batteries die after one year of life. I do keep a trickle charger on it during the off months.

You can get atv/motorcycle batteries like that, but that's all I know of.

/ Diehard batteries #20  
I too, was once a dyed in the wool Diehard battery guy. They'd spin the motor over like nothing else. But - they'd never last more than a couple of years. Sear's replacement warranty made that a non-issue. No more though.

So - I've changed to Interstate on everything I own, other than my Harley. Seems most other brands of batteries for Harley's are slightly off in size, post position, or whatever. And, although pretty expensive for a tiny battery, they do last very well. Over 7 years on my last one.

I did have good luck with AutoZone's DuraLast Gold batteries, however there are no AutoZone's nearby, thus the switch to Interstate.

Remember the old J. C. Penny's batteries with a LIFETIME warranty? After replacing mine 4 times - they shut that deal down :)

I sure can't believe how the price of batteries has jumped in the last two years though. I was told that it's a shortage of lead. Haha - not likely!!