JD 112 Electrical Oops

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #1  
Tractor
John Deere 112, John Deere 3010D
I have a little problem with my John Deere 112 lawn tractor. Accidentally, the positive battery cable that connects to the top of the solenoid was position in such a fashion that it touched my steel gas tank when I was turning the engine over. The steel gas tank is mounted to the frame. There was some smoke, but here is the problematic result. When I turn the key to start it, the solenoid seems to be making a rapid "tick-a-tick-a-tick" sound. Could be the starter but it's hard to tell. In any case, it won't start. I tried rapping on the starter with a hammer while the sound is going. Didn't do anything. Here is the other thing. I have 12v at the top of the solenoid when the key is switched to the "on" position. when I turn the key all the way to crank the engine, I only get like 4volts at the top of the solenoid. I'm wondering if the solenoid is shot. However, I lost power to the headlights and the electric lift through this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #2  
hmmm.. me thinks you ruined the battery, not the starter or solenoid. since it grounded before the power went thru the solenoid, its my guess you just fried the battery.

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops
I went back out to look. It is the solenoid that is making the noise. I measure 12 volts across the battery. However, I only get 5 volts at the headlights and about 4 to 5 volts at the starter when I crank the engine.

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #4  
If there is a sever drop in voltage when the starter is turned, that is usually related to either a battery or a grounding issue in my experience.

While the headlights are turned ON, what is the voltage at the battery.

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops
If there is a sever drop in voltage when the starter is turned, that is usually related to either a battery or a grounding issue in my experience.

While the headlights are turned ON, what is the voltage at the battery.

When the headlights are turned on I am still getting 12 volts at the battery. I just recenly went through the machine and cleaned up all the grounds. Any ideas?

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #6  
Suggest you use jumper cables to connect to your John Deere to see how it responds when you turn the key.
From what I am reading it sounds like your battery is finished. Perhaps you could charge it but....
Dave M7040

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #7  
I think the headlights on those small tractors are fed from a coil under the flywheel and run on AC.
They are not connected to the battery.
Dave M7040

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #8  
I think the headlights on those small tractors are fed from a coil under the flywheel and run on AC.
They are not connected to the battery.
Dave M7040

?? then they wouldnt be running if the engine isnt running, which his does. correct me if im wrong

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #9  
I went back out to look. It is the solenoid that is making the noise. I measure 12 volts across the battery. However, I only get 5 volts at the headlights and about 4 to 5 volts at the starter when I crank the engine.

Is that 12 volts @ the battery while you're cranking it?

If while cranking you have 12 @ the battery and 4-5 at the starter, that sounds like you're losing 7 in the cables (or cable connections). Maybe you partially burned a terminal off one end of a cable.

If this sounds possible a couple ways to check come to mind.

1) disconnect the battery and measure resistance (ohms) for each battery cable. It should be very low, if measurable at all.

2) while cranking it, measure the voltage drop across each battery cable. It should be very low voltage drop. If you 5-7 drop, the cable and/or its terminals is likely the problem.

/ JD 112 Electrical Oops #10  
Your correct and I was wrong. One the Deere's the headlights are 12 volt DC from Battery
Dave M7040