Oil & Fuel Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance!

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #1  

hiker88

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
I have a CK30 gear. I'm in the middle of my 50 hour service - tractor is right at 50 hours. I just drained the transmission and when I opened the box to the transmission filter, the filter itself says "filter HST". The box just says "filter hydraulic" or maybe I would have caught it. The HST filter appears to be an inch shorter than what is on my transmission, so it definitely looks like the wrong filter. Anyway, I have a load of snow to clean up from the blizzard last night, and I don't know if I should just leave the old filter on, and refill with new fluid, or maybe one of you know if I can get a filter from Napa or whatever is open on Sunday. I have my Subaru that I can get up my driveway with. The dealer is closed of course and they are 40 minutes away anyhow.

Part of me thinks I should put the new hydraulic fluid in, and then go back to the dealer and make him give me the right filter and hydraulic fluid tomorrow. Means I have to replace it all twice though. Any thought?

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #2  
Put the new fluid in and get the correct filter tomorrow. Don't expect the dealer to give you a second change of hydraulic fluid.

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #3  
Sometimes there are more than one filter, and more than one length, both of which work just fine. Now I'm not saying that's what you have in this case, but I figure more than likely it is. If it were me . . . I'd put that new filter on and if it fits and doesn't leak, I'd go on with my work. Then I'd stop by later and talk to the dealer. If he gives you a new filter of the same length as your old one, can't you change just the filter without changing the fluid again?

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #4  
Sometimes there are more than one filter, and more than one length, both of which work just fine. Now I'm not saying that's what you have in this case, but I figure more than likely it is. If it were me . . . I'd put that new filter on and if it fits and doesn't leak, I'd go on with my work. Then I'd stop by later and talk to the dealer. If he gives you a new filter of the same length as your old one, can't you change just the filter without changing the fluid again?

Yes many times even the manufacturer replacement filter can be slightly different than the factory installed filter.

Brian

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance!

Thanks for the idea. I checked the part number on the filter they gave me T2195-38031 and it's definitely for the HST. I need T2185-38031...

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #6  
Thanks for the idea. I checked the part number on the filter they gave me T2195-38031 and it's definitely for the HST. I need T2185-38031...

Of course, I certainly don't know what the difference is between those 2 filters, or whether the 2185 has been superceded by the 2195.

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #7  
the difference is about 85.00. the HST filter is big bucks but the hydraulic filter is about 8.00.

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #8  
On one of the other sites I visit, we are always talking about replacement filters etc and what other brands types might work/fit. NAPA sells better filters than many OEMs offer, and usually for less. Here is a link that might allow you to punch in your machine make, model and OEM filter number and then cross reference it to one of the filters they provide. Or, if you can get out to one locally, take yours in and they will almost always be able to match it up with one at least as good as what you have, or even better than what you have. IHTH-
Transmission Filters | Filters | NAPA Filters

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance! #9  
On one of the other sites I visit, we are always talking about replacement filters etc and what other brands types might work/fit. NAPA sells better filters than many OEMs offer, and usually for less. Here is a link that might allow you to punch in your machine make, model and OEM filter number and then cross reference it to one of the filters they provide. Or, if you can get out to one locally, take yours in and they will almost always be able to match it up with one at least as good as what you have, or even better than what you have. IHTH-
Transmission Filters | Filters | NAPA Filters

Exactly how is a WIX filter "better" than an OEM spec filter? Cheaper? Sometime, not always. Easier to buy due to location/business hours? maybe. Better? Why would a manufacturer sell a deficient filter? Your claim makes no sense. I've seen WIX hydraulic filters that were "better" (smaller micron rating) be too restrictive and cause noise and poor performance caused by pump cavitation.

/ Dealer gave me the wrong filter - need short term guidance!
Thanks for all the responses guys. I gave up on it for the day. Napa had a match on my part number, but said their manufacturer isn't making one yet. I changed the engine\crankcase oil and the front axle. I'll make the trip back up to the dealer tomorrow and get the right filter.

Luckily, my wife's outback will go through about 16 inches of snow, so the fact that I couldn't clean up today didn't slow her down.

Thanks again.